Thread: pushd and popd

Beans

pushd and popd

http://paste.linuxassist.net/216055

Can someone give me the quick rundown on how this works?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: pushd and popd

It's quite simple; pushd is like cd but it remembers where you were. popd takes you back.

So if you are in your home directory, you can "pushd Documents" and you will be in your ~/Documents directory. "popd" takes you back to your home directory. As you push and pop, the commands show you the directory you are in and the trail of directories you can go back to:

Code:
    $ pushd Documents
    ~/Documents ~
    $ popd
    ~
    The reason you can't find a manual page is that it's a bash built-in command. You can find details using:

Code:
    $ man bash
    ... or here: https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/ma...Stack-Builtins
    Please create new threads for new questions.
    Please wrap code in code tags using the '#' button or enter it in your post like this: [code]...[/code].

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are several ways, but the way I'd do it is to make a new .desktop file that will appear as an entry in the standard menu:

You mentioned leafpad, so I assume this is Lubuntu?

Code:
    $ mkdir -p ~/.local/share/applications
    $ cd ~/.local/share/applications
    $ cp /usr/share/applications/lxterminal.desktop ./
    Edit ~/.local/share/applications/lxterminal.desktop and append "--working-directory="/home/kevin/Documents" to the "Exec" line (which is near the bottom). This will make the LXTerminal entry in the "Start" menu open a terminal with the working directory set to your documents directory (assuming your username is "kevin" -- adjust accordingly).

If you have a shortcut in the panel, you'll need to remove this and re-add the replacement shortcut from the Accessories menu.
    Please wrap code in code tags using the '#' button or enter it in your post like this: [code]...[/code].

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure. I tried it in a VM and Ctrl-Alt-T didn't do anything. If it doesn't work, just delete that file from ~/.local.share/applications and add this line to the bottom of ~/.bashrc

Code:
    cd Documents
    That will apply to all shells, not just those started from menu/panel shortcuts.