Thread: [SOLVED] Oracle Java 1.7 install

Beans

[SOLVED] Oracle Java 1.7 install

Standard install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Desktop installs OpenJDK1.07. I want Oracle JDK 1.7, so I installed it the following way:

1) Download the JDK 7 from:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1859576.html
    2) You will download the tar.gz file. Extract it to your preferred location then run this:– Create a new folder:sudo mkdir -p /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0

– Move the content of JDK to your new locationsudo mv <EXTRACTED_FOLDER>/* /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/

– Then Run the following lines one at a timesudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/bin/java" 1

sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javac" "javac" "/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/bin/javac" 1

sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javaws" "javaws" "/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/bin/javaws" 1

This seems to work perfectly. When doing a java -version it gives me the last installed version 1.7.0_45.

But my question is: should I uninstall the OpenJDK1.7 (or leave it on my machine)?

Thanks.

Last edited by guy.dillen; January 4th, 2014 at 10:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Oracle Java 1.7 install

Hello!

You can leave it. They can coexist happlily. The one you select as your alternative is the one that will be used.

Just so you are aware, you will have to watch for updates having done it the way you did. And you pounded out a few more keystrokes than you needed to.

Please have a look at the link in my signature under "Command Line methods" and click on "Using webupd8.org's strikingly simple method" for a much easier way to install -- and it will automatically give you updates to Oracle Java 7 when you do your normal updates.

Cheers!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Re: Oracle Java 1.7 install

Many thanks.