Re: I can't play a DVD film in Ubuntu

post back the output of
    Code:
    dmesg | grep DVD
    Kopkins

Beans

Kopkins!

It doesn't play yet but now somethig new do happens after I did what you told me.

When I put in the drive any DVD, opens VLC but it doens' play, just shows a black screen and in the top left says the name of the film and - VLC.

Kind regards.

Tino

Beans

tino@user-fdf42c16fb:~$ dmesg | grep DVD
    [ 1.364500] ata2.00: ATAPI: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202J, SB02, max UDMA/66
    [ 1.381847] scsi 1:0:0:0: CD-ROM TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202J SB02 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5

Beans

Ta MoebustNet

I am now dealing with the advise from Kopkins; after that I'll perform what is in your link and I'll be back to you with the results.

Kind regards.

Tino

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by viriatovigo View Post
    Kopkins!

It doesn't play yet but now somethig new do happens after I did what you told me.

When I put in the drive any DVD, opens VLC but it doens' play, just shows a black screen and in the top left says the name of the film and - VLC.

Kind regards.

Tino
    You are so close! I was at that point once a year ago, I just can't remember what I did to get it working.

try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
    Then try your dvd. Fingers crossed!

Kopkins

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I edited my post to say:

ubuntu-restricted-extras provides a lot of codecs for playing many audio/video files.
    It is something you will want, but it does not play encrypted DVDs.
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

Beans

Hi Kopkins.

Nop! Still doesn't play but there is another improvement this time.

Now the disc drive shows up in the Launcher that it didn't before. When I do explore the disc, it shows icons for each track. When I do click on the tracks VLC plays only the sound but not the image and the sound is like if where cut off every 5 seconds.

Good! Sooner or later you are going to remember how you did resolve the issue. I am not all the time in the Forum because since the stroke I can not move very much and I am working from home as interpreter through Skype and translator online, so I do spend most of the time working, but I check the Forum 3 or 4 times per day every day to learn slowly slowly how to use Ubuntu. I am not new on Linux since about 10+ years ago or so I was using Red Hat but I gave up (my mistake...) because I did find it out of my capacity at that time (I've been on computers since 1975 with an IBM 360 30 Mainframe as COBOL programmer but "that" was in the Dark Ages... I think that now I am too much too old to cope with these new "tosters").

So, as soon as you remember, please, give me shout.

Also, What about what says JRV that may be encrypted? How can be found that? He says that if encrypted it would't work as easy as that...

See you when I see you again.

Kind regards

Tino
    Last edited by viriatovigo; March 15th, 2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Correct grammar and spelling mistakes

Beans

Ta JRV.

You did say that in first place. But, How to know then? And, What can be done about if that is the issue? Why doesn't happen with Apple and didn't happen with Windows?

Kind regards.

Tino
    Last edited by viriatovigo; March 15th, 2013 at 08:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why doesn't happen witth Apple and didn't happen with Windows?
    Programs that come with those operating systems have the ability to play encrypted DVD's
    That the vendors(and through them, you) PAY $$$ for.
    Thus Ubuntu being a free distribution they cannot distribute those propitiatory bits.
    These are legal and monetary issues.
    Last edited by arpanaut; March 15th, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans

Ta arpanaut.

Right... I got it... It makes sense to me.

Oh, well! I'll keep watching them in the laptop with Apple then. It is not going to be the end of the World, anyway...

In any case, thank you very much because it tells me that I was not doing anything wrong, just being naive.

However... I did upgrade to 12.10 few hours ago and now I can see the details of my PC and I get the Disks icon in the Launchpad where I can explore the DVD and... copy the contents in a folder within Documents. The copy shows track by track and now, by clicking on them, they play. The solo thing is that I need to open every track to see the full film but it works (errrr... after some arrangementes...). Now... How can I merge all the tracks in order so I can see the full film at once without having to open every track one by one? I know how to do it in Windows but I have not a clue how to do it in Linux.

All the best.

Tino

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast