Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Stories: How linux has Saved you!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    sydney
    Beans
    92
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Stories: How linux has Saved you!

    Hey guys =D

    Just wanted to see some people's story's on how linux has saved you, maybe you lost a partition and fixed it with linux, or had a virus on windows and removed it with linux

    The amount of times linux has saved me is to many storys to tell, earlier today i accidently messed up my work USB drive and for some reason i couldnt access it on windows ( yes i have to use windows sometimes, BAD WORD! )

    And booting onto my linux drive and using gparted saved me, allowing me to fix the duplicate partitions i managed to make somehow xD

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Beans
    764

    Re: Stories: How linux has Saved you!

    Linux has saved me from Linux but not really windows. For example I used a Ubuntu live cd to fix the fstab of my system that I managed to mess up because i was trying to get everything perfectly aligned.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    India
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

    Re: Stories: How linux has Saved you!

    Its free/secure & easy too (atleast thesedays). It has saved me a lot of money. I didn't have to buy an OS or software.

    BTW, when people come to me with a broken windows installation I use Ubuntu live cd to backup their home folder & reinstall windows from their DVD.
    free showing high ram usage ? Read this
    When people say "you've changed " there's a 95% chance that you just stopped acting the way they wanted you to.

  4. #4
    Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Stories: How linux has Saved you!

    I wouldn't say Linux saved me, but my computer is pretty lucky I installed it. Windows was getting to a point where I wanted to throw my pc out on the street. Linux has been working perfectly since I installed it. (With only a minor hiccup here and there.)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    525

    Re: Stories: How linux has Saved you!

    While this story wasn't about me, it saved someone else.

    I had a friend who forgot their password for Windows 7 and couldn't log in. They gave me the PC to fix and I used a Linux Rescue CD to repair it. After wrestling with commands to access SAM and it's locations, I maged to edit the registry to remove the password. My friend was happy to get back to their PC.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1
    Beans
    4,697
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Stories: How linux has Saved you!

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    Its free/secure & easy too (atleast thesedays). It has saved me a lot of money. I didn't have to buy an OS or software.

    BTW, when people come to me with a broken windows installation I use Ubuntu live cd to backup their home folder & reinstall windows from their DVD.
    you forgot the next to last step, profit
    the last step is repeat


    think of all the headace and time linux has saved you deal with virus scan, defraging, and long updates

    i managed to fix a issue on a windows system caused by un-removable software that kept undoing wifi settings
    ubuntu had no problem deleting it
    in my exp it is not worth the time to fix windows, much better off replacing it
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    7

    Re: Stories: How linux has Saved you!

    Winter 1933..hiking in the Andes with a friend named Hillary.
    While hiking during the night I slipped and fell 95 feet into a cravass. Nobody would take the risk to help. Too deep, too dark.
    I quickly remembered that I had packed an old e-mail from a friend inside my duffle and inside that email was a Ubuntu disc that I had saved.
    I had 96 feet of parachute cord with me. I took the parachute cord and tied a monkey fist knot through the hole so that it wouldn't slip out. Being that the disc has very little weight, I had to wait for over 6 hours before a good strong wind blew into the cravass and once it did, I launched the disc up and out away from me. The wind caught the Ubuntu disc and carried it up and out of the cravass.
    I felt it lodge into a rock outcrop and I tugged on the line to make sure it was secure.
    Secure it was and I then managed to hand over hand up the line and was out.
    After, I quickly installed it in my old notebook that I also had in my duffle and sent a email for help.

    Ubuntu had saved my life.

  8. #8
    Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Stories: How linux has Saved you!

    Quote Originally Posted by cactus john View Post
    Winter 1933..hiking in the Andes with a friend named Hillary.
    While hiking during the night I slipped and fell 95 feet into a cravass. Nobody would take the risk to help. Too deep, too dark.
    I quickly remembered that I had packed an old e-mail from a friend inside my duffle and inside that email was a Ubuntu disc that I had saved.
    I had 96 feet of parachute cord with me. I took the parachute cord and tied a monkey fist knot through the hole so that it wouldn't slip out. Being that the disc has very little weight, I had to wait for over 6 hours before a good strong wind blew into the cravass and once it did, I launched the disc up and out away from me. The wind caught the Ubuntu disc and carried it up and out of the cravass.
    I felt it lodge into a rock outcrop and I tugged on the line to make sure it was secure.
    Secure it was and I then managed to hand over hand up the line and was out.
    After, I quickly installed it in my old notebook that I also had in my duffle and sent a email for help.

    Ubuntu had saved my life.
    That was beautiful. ._.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vermont
    Beans
    913
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Stories: How linux has Saved you!

    Quote Originally Posted by cactus john View Post
    Winter 1933..hiking in the Andes with a friend named Hillary...
    What? Wait. I know that girl. This was back in the seventies when I had my Ubuntu 8-Track tape with me (before they had CDs). I was hiking the Appalachian trial in the White Mountains when an unexpected squall...
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    22

    Re: Stories: How linux has Saved you!

    Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post


    think of all the headace and time linux has saved you deal with virus scan, defraging, and long updates
    This ^^^^

    When I was using Windows, I encountered a problem which was driving me crazy. I Googled day and night trying to fix the problem. 90% of all search results wanted me to buy their software to to repair it. Finally in one search, someone answered somebody who had the same problem with "Why are you still using Windows? Switch to Linux Mint to solve your problems." I had never heard of this 'Linux' stuff before (old man just starting to play with computers). Anyway, checked it out, liked what I saw (see bold in quote above) and decided to give it try. Haven't looked back since.

    That's my story....and I'm sticking to it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •