Thread: 12.04 How Do You Mount a RAID 5 Partition?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

12.04 How Do You Mount a RAID 5 Partition?

Hi,

A friend is having issues with his Windows 7 desktop (stopped booting normally & safe mode, keeps trying and failing to repair with Windows Repair), so I booted Ubuntu 12.04 via CD and can see that all four of his hard disks are showing "healthy" according to Disk Utility. One is a ssd with his main Windows partition (configured as a single-drive RAID partition); the other three are configured as a single partition (RAID 5 disk array, via his mobo's onboard RAID utility).

His single-drive Windows partition is automatically mounting, but not his data array. While Disk Utility shows all four hard disks, many options available to the single-drive RAID partition are not showing for the RAID 5 array, including the most important one to me right now: MOUNT.

So, how do you mount a RAID 5 partition?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Kartari; March 14th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: 12.04 How Do You Mount a RAID 5 Partition?

Btw, more on my friend's situation in case you're wondering why I don't simply reformat and reinstall the os partition.

I am swapping his mobo and cpu (his mobo's USB controller is problematic - a capacitor was blown and replaced, but hasn't been 100% since), hence the need to copy his data to an external drive before the swap. I understand RAID is best reconfigured from scratch when swapping the mobo, so my plan is a) access the data array (via Ubuntu) and copy all files to an external drive, b) swap the mobo, c) reconfigure RAID with the same disks, and d) copy the data back to the drives.

Beans
    Distro

Anyone? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You are right, the raid 5 partition would not likely survive the MB swap. The 12.04 should see the raid 5? Try querying it from a live cd terminal with the command - sudo dmraid -ay. The response should be that the raid is already active. If so, the raid partition should be listed as a folder on your panel at the left edge of the screen. If it isn't we will have to explore the problem further!
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd