Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Server For the clueless

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Server For the clueless

ranger12 you seem to have accomplished alot with Ubuntu Server were you new to Linux? how did you find the whole process was it easy to learn?

Beans

If you want a server that actually give you a *server GUI* (meaning, GUI configuration utilities for services, not just a desktop on a server OS), you might want to investigate freeNAS, clearOS, or Zentyal. You can put a desktop on Ubuntu server, but you still need to edit config files and use the terminal to actually do anything.

Not that there's anything wrong with learning the CLI; it's what I use most of the time myself. Best way to learn is exactly what you're doing now: pick a project, do the research, and implement it. I got started with a book from O'Reilly press called "Linux server hacks". Don't know if they've updated that book, but it was a pretty awesome guide to setting up a variety of services back in the day. I think I paid 5 bucks for it. Best fiver I ever spent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Best way to learn is exactly what you're doing now: pick a project, do the research, and implement it.
    Exactly, you can read all you like, but the best way to learn is to actually do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post

I basically want to setup to start with a Media server which will handle streaming, downloading of torrents, I also want to setup a ftp and share out a few samba shares with windows 7 clients. I also want to learn about basic security of the server real basic foundation level stuff
    So pick one of those things, read about it, then do it. And go from there.

Beans

Hey thanks I purposely have avoided tools like Zentyal, Webmin as I had this silly idea of trying to configure everything through the command line. I still haven't configured anything and am still banging my head against the wall still am trying to get motivated and to start the process of setting services up. I keep dipping into Linux books and ending up with a headache the information being presented just isn't sinking in

To try and stay on track and motivate myself I was thinking of adding stuff I do to this thread on a day to do basis and kind of build up a knowledge base.

Someone really needs to bring out a decent how to setup a server guide or book explaining basic steps from hard disk configuration right up to configuration of services and security but in a easy to understand way I get to stuff like LVM And it just goes over my head.

Beans

I actually had been using ubuntu desktop as a regular desktop os since version 10.10. I got another box last summer and thought it would be great if I setup my own network. I downloaded 12.04 server edition, used the server guide and rolled up my sleeves and went to work. My network setup now did not happen overnight but I think I have a pretty good one now if I decide to add more workstations than I can. 1 server, 1 workstation and a network printer - and of course the router/modem for now. I started slow at first. I actually found most of the server guide to be good but it does have some sections that seem some more work done to. I think ubuntu Linux makes a great network platform. I think the desktop version makes a great works tigon coupled with a ubuntu server. I do have it setup with samba if I want to add windows workstations but at the moment I do not have any. I do think the server guide is a great place to start and I have also consulted the man pages on things to help even further with configuring tongs. There is still more though. I need to put in a system to do backups and I might grab another machine to put in secondary masters for ldap and dns just in case the primary decides to go "poof". The cups server does actually have web based interface tool but everything else I do command line; either at the server console or I have the workstation setup so I can ssh over to it. I think after I set it up last summer I played around with just creating regular unix user accounts and than I think it was dns and then openldap. All the other services I setup after that. I then set out to network the desktop system. Just take it slow and after you have the basic server running, just pick a service you want to install and use the server guide first and if that doesn't suffice than try here and some of the other links posted.

Beans

Ok I will be using Virtual Box to play before I touch a proper system I don't feel comfortable yet apologies if I keep asking questions I really do need a helping hand in getting started the first thing which is bogging me down is the partitioning of my virtual server. I am basically creating 3 10 Gig partitions in Virtual box.

SDA is going to have the main operating system installed

/boot - 200mb
    / - 2 gig
    /home - 6 gig
    swap

The other two drives I want to create a LVM and have it as a data share i.e /data is this a good way of going about the partitioning of the 3 drives or am I being a complete numpty here or do I need raid or some other fancy system in place how would you partition a this kind of layout I am a absolute noob and appreciate the hand holding sorry if I am posting stupid questions we all have to start somewhere and I guess I am on the absolute numpty / noob level whoknows oneday I might a be a guru one step at a time and Rome wasn't built in a day haha

I must admit this forum compared to the Centos forum is much more pleasant and I appreciate the help I have received so far I do intend to give back to the community oneday and help others by devising a blog the absolute idiots guide to Ubuntu Server making the transition from Windows
    Last edited by nothingspecial; March 14th, 2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: language

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12