Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone got MIR working in raring?

Beans

Anyone got MIR working in raring?

I added MIR staging ppa, and installed mir package.
    Now I switched to a different virtual terminal through Ctrl+ALT+F2 / F3, etc. Then I logged in and ran $ mir
    Doing that, all I get is a black screen. If I try switching to different terminal, it doesn't work, I think that's something to do with how mir works, I assume. Only black screen. Num Lock works. Have to reset machine.
    Mine is Radeon HD 4250 on AMD 880G.

Is that how Mir is supposed to be ran or something else, because I can't find instructions. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Anyone got MIR working in raring?

you might know thats a pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha with a non finite design; so what do you expect exactly ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

some of us are also looking for instructions. This is about all that has been found so far. Well, it is all that I know. In the tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1 - in my case) try these three commands

Code:
    (sleep 5; mir_demo_client) & mir; kill$!
    Code:
    (sleep 5; mir_demo_unaccelerated) & mir; kill$!
    Code:
    (sleep 5; mir_demo_accelerated) & mir; kill$!
    What results do you get? To stop the demonstration press Ctrl+C. We get something with the accelerated demo but not much else with the other two demos. Ventrical worked out the 'sleep 5' = delay in running the demo. The lower the number the quicker the demo starts. The higher the number the longer the demo takes to start. So, wait a bit to see what happens before concluding that something is broken.

Sorry, I have nothing else to add. I have also installed the PPA for the Ubuntu Touch apps. But I cannot run any of the apps due to missing libraries that are not yet in the repository. That seems to be the state of things at the moment.

Regards.

Edit: Sorry. My mistake. That is why I don't like coding. Too large a risk for mistyping on my part. The argument should be enclosed in brackets. I have now corrected my error.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 13th, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Syntax error I'm assuming the ")" wasn't meant to be there. The commands printed the startup lines about libEGL and then the black screen issue again, on all three commands. Had to ALT-Ctrl-Del to restart the comp. I guess mir won't work on my hardware yet. Guess I'll have to wait to see the demo. /searches youtube

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    Syntax error I'm assuming the ")" wasn't meant to be there. The commands printed the startup lines about libEGL and then the black screen issue again, on all three commands. Had to ALT-Ctrl-Del to restart the comp. I guess mir won't work on my hardware yet. Guess I'll have to wait to see the demo. /searches youtube
    Try the below code:

(sleep 5; mir_demo_client_accelerated) & mir ; kill $!

The brackets are needed. It should work on your hardware. I have it working on ATi, Intel and Nvidia graphics.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have corrected my typing error. There should be an ( at the start and an ) at the end of the command to run. See corrected commands. Sorry.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    some of us are also looking for instructions. This is about all that has been found so far. Well, it is all that I know. In the tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1 - in my case) try these three commands

Code:
    (sleep 5; mir_demo_client) & mir; kill$!
    Code:
    (sleep 5; mir_demo_unaccelerated) & mir; kill$!
    Code:
    (sleep 5; mir_demo_accelerated) & mir; kill$!
    What results do you get? To stop the demonstration press Ctrl+C. We get something with the accelerated demo but not much else with the other two demos. Ventrical worked out the 'sleep 5' = delay in running the demo. The lower the number the quicker the demo starts. The higher the number the longer the demo takes to start. So, wait a bit to see what happens before concluding that something is broken.

Sorry, I have nothing else to add. I have also installed the PPA for the Ubuntu Touch apps. But I cannot run any of the apps due to missing libraries that are not yet in the repository. That seems to be the state of things at the moment.

Regards.

Edit: Sorry. My mistake. That is why I don't like coding. Too large a risk for mistyping on my part. The argument should be enclosed in brackets. I have now corrected my error.
    I e-mailed Thomas Voss in launchpad if there were more demo material and code that we could experiment with and I am awaiting a reply. (which may be for along period of time )

I searched quite a bit .. mabey not enough but can't find any add-ons to the hacking file at launchpad.

I have done some of my own experiements based on the assumption that using the code:

Code:
    & mir
    invokes the MIR server .. so one may be albe to load stuff or try to load stuff into it. I have tried gedit, gksu gedit, lightdm etc.. with varying results. I am not worried about borking installs because I have 4 machines commited to it.

I tired the command:

Code:
    startx mir
    and got a white box at the top left hand corner for about a second, then blackspace and out with CTRL+c. I am not advising anyone to experiment in this way if you are not willing to bust, fry or otherwise bork your system. I have only borked one install so far and that is when I tried the code:

Code:
    (sleep 5; ubuntu-desktop) & mir ; kill $!
    Last edited by ventrical; March 13th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I am also trying to find out what happened to the conventional .xinitrc file that follows startx so I can try and build a script to run with MIR init but tlooks like Ubuntu does not work off of this process as conventional Linux does?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I am also trying to find out what happened to the conventional .xinitrc file that follows startx so I can try and build a script to run with MIR init but tlooks like Ubuntu does not work off of this process as conventional Linux does?
    .xinitrc (or .Xsession, You pick which one You want use) works nicely... Just You have to know several rules... They are easily obtained...
    My current (testing, mess but useful to learn how (or how not to) use it:
    Code:
    :~$ cat .xinitrc#/usr/bin/xcompmgr &
    /usr/bin/gnome-settings-daemon &
    #/usr/bin/glipper &
    #/usr/bin/indicator-weather &
    /usr/bin/xset r rate 250 40 &
    /usr/bin/setxkbmap -option lv3:ralt_switch,grp:sclk_toggle,grp_led:scroll,eurosign:5 rs,rs -variant latin, altwin:swap_lalt__lwin, caps:super &
    /usr/bin/pulseaudio --daemonize &
    #/usr/bin/pacmd set-source-volume alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_Audio_DAC-00-DAC.iec958-stereo.monitor 65536 &
    #/usr/bin/awsetbg -f /home/zika/black_2048_1152.jpg &
    #/usr/bin/awsetbg -f /home/zika/Pictures/BlackSnake.jpg &
    #/usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/awesome
    #/usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/gnome-session
    #/usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/gnome-session-fallback
    #/usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/gnome-session-fallback
    #/usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/gnome-shell
    #/usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/dwm
    #/usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/fvwm
    #/usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/spectrwm
    #/usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/unity
    #exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-fallback-compiz
    #exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-fallback
    #exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/awesome
    exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/gnome-shell
    #exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/unity
    #exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/weston --fullscreen --backend=drm-backend.so
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans

Edit sorry, I just read ventrical's corrected command. let me try that.
    black screen again but I can quit it with Ctrl+C.
    I get mir_demo_client_accelerated: command not found.
    libEGL warning: failed to load /../egl_gallium.so (libllvmradeon9.2.0.so Could not open shared object No such file or directory)

I got the command not found on grahams three commands also, even after the correction.
    Last edited by DisappearingOak; March 13th, 2013 at 06:12 PM.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast