Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone got MIR working in raring?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Anyone got MIR working in raring?

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    What does it bring new? I've seen it yesterday but did not have time/urge to do anything with it... What can be done with it?
    The last batch of updates killed everything here .. so far. No demos will work .. etc.. (intel Graphics).
    Edit:

Killed mir_demo_actions on my *updated* Nvidia installs also.

I expected this..

Will check up on ATi install.

Edit:

Mir_demos on ATI install still works ok after updates. I'm not sure what happened. as for mircommon-dev. I think it does nothing right now. I just thought I would let everyone know it was there. I mean .. to be frank about it , it appears that Mir is nothing more than left over fumes of wayland/weston gone by atm but I think it will come alive soon

regards,

Venrtrical
    Last edited by ventrical; March 23rd, 2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: appended/corrections

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think that someone reacted to the complaints that the skunks works project was a secretive conspiracy and has let a couple of skunks loose. Projects like this were supposed to be revealed when they were finished and polished. But then again, if the Raring code branch really does go rolling on and on, stuff like this would have come down during daily updates at some time in the future. And here we are ready and waiting.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

With a major rewrite and infrastructure injection I would expect that these things would happen early and often, (better than never or later). I hope the devs are eyeballing this forum, elst, they will become insular as their most imediate predeccessor and it will most likely be a scratch for older desktops and those older ironworks will be seconded to some reasonable facsimile of a forked over Unity 2D desktop, Mate or a manintained X windowing system with a legacy Unity 3D. More and more the testing options are being corralled into cadence testing because cadence testing is reliable to developers because it basically tells them what they want to hear and if there is an anomoly here an there then they can flag it as a hybrid problem that was blacklisted, obsoleted or discontinued.

. <see below off a cold boot with no mir instance>.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ventrical; March 24th, 2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: toned down :)

Beans
    Distro

Interesting. On one of my machines with ATi Radeon 1200x series I was able to use type-mir in the lightdm.conf file and even reboot into that file. Lightdm did not come up (black screen with blinking cursor) but I got all my terminals working. I was able to switch back to different terminals and then remove type =mir with nano. While I was in tty1 I ran (sleep 5; mir_eglplasma) & mir ; kill $! and got the following. An inverted Ubuntu-Desktop with a slipt ) Now things are getting interesting indeed lol

Edit:

I just realized somthing . It may be nothing but in the morning I am going to try and set my screen resolution to a lower scale , experiment there and see what happens.

Edit:

Can't set resolution because display widget will not come up .. Wrong driver I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ventrical; March 24th, 2013 at 01:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I am not sure if I have the right driver for this graphics adapter. Any pointers on installing another one or a right one?

I ask here because I am having a small prob testing mir in raring.

Thanks.

Code:
    0000000(size=134217728)
               *-display
                    description: VGA compatible controller
                    product: RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series]
                    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
                    physical id: 5
                    bus info: pci@0000:01:05.0
                    version: 00
                    width: 64 bits
                    clock: 33MHz
                    capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                    configuration: driver=radeon latency=64
                    resources: irq:47 memory:f0000000-f7ffffff memory:fdff0000-fdffffff ioport:de00(size=256) memory:fde00000-fdefffff

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    With which kernel and driver. "Nomodesset" was depreciated not so long ago... If You're u-to-date there might be no way of going nomodeset any more...
    If You still need help how to change Grub, shout...
    I've stumbled on article that I've read some time ago and that is the article about final demise of nomodeset both for AMD and NVidia...
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTI2ODA
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Let me see if I understand this correctly. When we add nomodeset to the boot parameters, then that is user-space mode-setting (UMS). And the ability to use user-space mode setting is being depreciated (not supported in future, even now). This is being done because ATI developers are confident that they have a system where the video mode can be accurately set in kernel-space (KMS). This would also apply to all the F6 options where newer ATI hardware and drivers are installed for they are all added in user-space.

So, we can have confidence that from now on when using newer ATI adapters with the latest ATI drivers, all Live Sessions will run as they should and all installations of Ubuntu will result in a working desktop after the reboot. All I can say is, everyone has my best wishes for the future. Oh, I better add, apologies to Richard Stallman.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 24th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If it's deprecated, why is it still included for recovery mode in grub.cfg? Someone didn't get the memo?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    If it's deprecated, why is it still included for recovery mode in grub.cfg? Someone didn't get the memo?
    Obstruction by rascals among us...
    You can simply try that for yourself...
    See one of my previous posts above...
    Radeon (as module/driver) still respect switch radeon.modeset=0, as noted in that same post and tried before that...
    So, to conclude: it is not yet fully operational but it will be in 3.9 final... As far as I did comprehend respective „papers“...
    There are much better places to complain about that decision than here...
    Last edited by zika; March 24th, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

nomodeset still works for me...

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast