Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone got MIR working in raring?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Anyone got MIR working in raring?

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Nomodeset depreciated? Richard Stallman never said anything to me. That is it. I going over to Lilo!

@ventrical

At the grub menu select Ubuntu and press E. That puts grub in Edit mode. Look for the line that says

and change it to You can Esc out and then boot. This will only work that once it does not permanently edit the Grub boot parameters.

Regards.
    I might be wrong, RS might forgot to inform You...
    Code:
    [    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-13-generic root=UUID=402a564e-c124-4fac-9be5-28afc310e2d5 ro nomodeset apparmor=0
    [    0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-13-generic root=UUID=402a564e-c124-4fac-9be5-28afc310e2d5 ro nomodeset apparmor=0
    [   10.465401] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
    [   10.465716] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (RV635 0x1002:0x9598 0x1043:0x01DA).
    With radeon.modeset=0 its completely another story...
    Be prepared for lower resolution...
    Code:
    [    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-13-generic root=UUID=402a564e-c124-4fac-9be5-28afc310e2d5 ro radeon.modeset=0 apparmor=0
    [    0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-13-generic root=UUID=402a564e-c124-4fac-9be5-28afc310e2d5 ro radeon.modeset=0 apparmor=0
    Last edited by zika; March 20th, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.

Beans
    Distro

Nomodeset depreciated? Richard Stallman never said anything to me. That is it. I going over to Lilo!

@ventrical

At the grub menu select Ubuntu and press E. That puts grub in Edit mode. Look for the line that says

and change it to You can Esc out and then boot. This will only work that once it does not permanently edit the Grub boot parameters.

Regards.
    Zika is right. I tried that, got Ubuntu Desktop, really slow and sluggish, then, went to terminal and got vertical blue stripes (Ubuntu Blue screen of Death?) All is well again. However, I learned something new. I was wondering why when I chose nomodeset from Raring USB install that all of those installs ran like they had molases stuck to them. So, when ticing off <nomodeset> during install carries over to the Ubuntu-Desktop .. or even Grub?

<not intentionally trying to be off topic here> I just thought that the above might be a note of interest already noted.

Thanks for your help Graham.
    This is not Convergence, This is now Gnome
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Sorry to be off topic.

I just realized that there may be a problem with my testing. I have a quad set of towers running off a KVM. This may be causing a syncing issue or a modeset issue.

On Topic:

I noticed some changes in /Xorg.0.log and I was wondering how to change modeset in New Grub configuration of raring to "nomodeset".

I just want to try another experiment.
    Tried everything. Removed PC from KVM, purged and re-installed mir/ppa.

type=mir still gives me just gives me black-screen. Perhaps those tests are run in a cadence controlled environment.

Beans
    Distro

I switched over to a higher end ATi graphics card. I almost had it working but there was a driver version error. The thing is , I had all of this nice info in /var/log/lightdm/mir.log and then when I went to copy and paste it I entered the wrong gksu code and the data is now gone !! So I would have to do the procedure all over again .

Break time !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@ventrical

I found out how to get those Touch core apps working. The answer - install the SDK preview. It must bring in some libraries that do not come in through the PPA.

http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-started/gomobile/

I installed the SDK thinking that I might be able to run the apps through it but after the download had finished it was possible to launch any of the apps that were installed directly from the Dash without QTCreator loaded. I am still not having any success with the "type=mir" problem. Even "lightdm stop" followed by "lighdm start" does not make any difference. Still, at least I can use Nano to remove "type=mir" from the lightdm configuration file. I have been wondering why there is the instruction to restart lightdm. Finally worked out the reason. It is simply like logging out and logging back in.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

@ventrical

I found out how to get those Touch core apps working. The answer - install the SDK preview. It must bring in some libraries that do not come in through the PPA.

http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-started/gomobile/

I installed the SDK thinking that I might be able to run the apps through it but after the download had finished it was possible to launch any of the apps that were installed directly from the Dash without QTCreator loaded. I am still not having any success with the "type=mir" problem. Even "lightdm stop" followed by "lighdm start" does not make any difference. Still, at least I can use Nano to remove "type=mir" from the lightdm configuration file. I have been wondering why there is the instruction to restart lightdm. Finally worked out the reason. It is simply like logging out and logging back in.

SDK .. Ahahahahehe ... That really made my day Very simple. Nice

MIR... I think it all has to do with a certain driver version on ATi graphics cards... but I agree .. it is like logging in and logging out. I am still very enthusiastic about it and will keep on trying different things as it rolls out. Of course I will post any developments here.

Regards,

Ventrical
    Last edited by ventrical; March 21st, 2013 at 07:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Tried everything. Removed PC from KVM, purged and re-installed mir/ppa.

type=mir still gives me just gives me black-screen. Perhaps those tests are run in a cadence controlled environment.
    I asked on #ubuntu-mir on IRC. I'm getting the black screen as well. This is the response:
    21:56 < bcbc2> Running mir ppa on Raring. When I add type=mir to lightdm.conf I
    get a terminal login. This is the lightdm.log:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5636106/ Any ideas? PS the
    mir_egltriangle runs correctly in the separate test
    21:59 < RAOF> bcbc2: XMir currently isn't in the PPA, so those steps won't work.
    22:00 < bcbc2> RAOF: ah ok. So I need to compile from source?
    22:00 < RAOF> bcbc2: XMir & the associated drivers will land after I've landed
    https://code.launchpad.net/~raof/mir.../+merge/153267
    and the associated changes.
    22:02 < RAOF> bcbc2: Yeah, you can build from source if you want; the necessary
    code is on github - https://github.com/RAOF/xserver and the
    associated driver from xf86-video-{ati,intel,nouveau}
    22:02 < RAOF> (Note, I don't think nouveau's currently working)
    22:02 < RAOF> bcbc2: It's pretty boring, too (as long as it works) - everything
    looks exactly like it currently does, with the exception that
    colour management doesn't work

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    I asked on #ubuntu-mir on IRC. I'm getting the black screen as well. This is the response:

Thanks for that information .

My problem is that nano keeps destroying my mir.log and lighdm.log is always overwrote on login. I will have to redo my experiment over again where there was information in mir.log told me that I had the wrong version of video driver (1.8 or somthing and needed 2.3) but this only worked on ATI. I get all the demos just fine on Nvidia-nouveau, Ati and Intel graphics but type=mir does not bring to Ubuntu Desktop. Perhaps this is not what the author meant because I can run mir from tty1 then htop. Mir will be in htop. Also mir will continue to run in the background until you F9 in htop and choose 'kill'. However if you do not kill mir first before switching to F7 you will loose your desktop and reboot required.

Beans
    Distro

mircommon-dev now in repos.

Beans
    Distro

mircommon-dev now in repos.
    What does it bring new? I've seen it yesterday but did not have time/urge to do anything with it... What can be done with it?
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast