Hi All,

I'm very new to Linux and I've just spent a very frustrating few hours trying to figure out a problem with a fresh install of Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 x64 on a HP Microserver. The install itself completed ok, once I'd figured out how to make it work from a USB flash drive, but after the system was up & running I couldn't install any software using sudo apt-get install. After much head scratching and internet searching, I discovered that the /etc/apt/sources.list file seemed to be incomplete. I used http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/ to generate a sources list for the UK and 12.04 LTS and when I added these to my own sources.list file, I was then able to properly update & install the software i needed.

So my question is; Should the sources.list file not be complete with the correct entries for the installed country and version after a fresh install, or have I done something during the installation that has caused this problem. I had a fair bit of fiddling about to do to make the install run from the USB drive, but I can't see how that would have caused the problem. I've also installed 12.04 Server on a VirtualBox VM some time ago and I can't recall having any problems of this sort, so is this a bug in 12.04.2?

Andrew