Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detecting applications who create folders

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Detecting applications who create folders

Hi

When I install apps in my pc, most of the time they create hidden folders in my home directory. Is it possible to monitor, and perhaps obtain the application name of every app
    which creates a folder in my home directory?

Regards,

Adeeb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Detecting applications who create folders

I would say that most of my installed application do not or have not created a folder in home. hidden folders. I don't know a way to detect that without looking at the code granted you know what to look for. You would somehow have to know this prior to the package being extracted during installation.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Hidden!

If what you mean are the folders under ~/.config and ~/.local/share then they are usually named after applications that created them.

Beans

You could go into synaptic package manager (need top install in ubuntu) and right click an installed package and click properties and there is an installed files tab that lists all files that the package installs on your system
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!

@mamamia88
    However, that list won't contain anything created under $HOME as folders there are typically created not when installing application, but when running it for the first time or when configuring it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by schragge View Post
    @mamamia88
    However, that list won't contain anything created under $HOME
    yeah i just realized that sorry. i too would like to know that rather than just digging through dot files and deleting stuff i know i don't need.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!

The only way I know to keep the full track of any changes in your home folder is described here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by schragge View Post
    The only way I know to keep the full track of any changes in your home folder is described here.
    I'll look into this. I just get tired of havin' to remove a bunch of folders I no longer need from the home dir manually. Applications don't clean up after themselves when I remove them.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by 3v3rgr33n View Post
    I'll look into this. I just get tired of havin' to remove a bunch of folders I no longer need from the home dir manually. Applications don't clean up after themselves when I remove them.
    So what is your question exactly? Do you want to find the files and folders you want to remove or do you want applications to remove the folders and files from /home when you "remove" the applications?

If it's the first, you could do a recursive listing of the contents /home before and after installing software and running the software a couple of times. Then you could do a diff. That should give you a clue.
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

How about:
    Code:
    ls ~/.*
    ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast