Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New User Questions

Beans

New User Questions

Hi, I am new-er to Ubuntu and the world of Linux. I am an IT student that graduates in May and have used Windows my whole life and that's what I am taught as a student that everything runs on. I have grown a curiousity towards Linux and have found that Ubuntu is my favorite version. 2 days ago I tried to setup my laptop to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 8, all other times I've tried to install Ubuntu it has given me an option to install next to Windows and import user info but this time for some reason it didn't and I installed over Windows 8. I'm not sure why this time it didn't give me an option. I have gotten a few questions about Ubuntu and I was hoping somebody could help me out:

1. I use Thunderbird to connect my Gmail account to. When I delete my email in Thunderbird it sends it to my 'all mail' folder in Gmail, how do I set it so it would go to my trash?

2. I have figured out how to access my Ubuntu machine from my Windows computers but I cannot seem to figure out how to access my Windows machines from Ubuntu, I get error messages. Is there something I have to set up?

3. I have 2 Windows programs I would like to run through Wine to make work on Ubuntu but how do I set that up?

4. Just a general curiousty question.....is Linux used very much in the corporate world?

I appreciate any help anybody can provide. So far I am loving Ubuntu, people make Linux out to be so complicated but really it doesn't seem to be, people are afraid of a learning curve. I would like to figure out how to install so I could configure the partitions on my own, just so I know how but I would have to play around. I am sure I will have more questions but these are just starting. Again thank you for any help you can supply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New User Questions

question 4: Linux is used extensively in many areas. By 'corporate world,' what do you mean? Linux is seeing a bit more use as a desktop OS in the corporate environment, but Microsoft has a firm hold on the corporate desktop so far. But underneath the surface, the corporate world sees more Linux serves than windows servers. In most of the corporate/enterprise environments that I have experienced, most of the windows servers that are used are now virtual systems that are hosted on linux servers.

Multitudes of systems that run corporate networks, the internet, and critical services are either Linux, BSD Unix, Solaris and so forth. Avaya builds their phone systems on Linux (Redhat or Centos), juniper networks base all their networking equipment and security devices on FreeBSD Unix.

The extent to which you will experience Linux versus windows depends on what you want to do in your career.

question 3: visit this link. http://appdb.winehq.org/

question 2: How is it that you are connecting, or trying to connect between the two? samba (the network explorer links on either system)? and what error are you getting?

question 1: I don't think I've seen that before. is it like described in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=482337 ?
    I dream of a world where our lives can remain private, and our technology can remain open to all.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherdude24 View Post

4. Just a general curiousty question.....is Linux used very much in the corporate world?

At work about half of our servers are running Linux (CentOS). It isn't so widely used on the desktop. I read somewhere, a stat that at least 65% of publicly accessible servers on the internet are running some flavour of unix with various Linux distros accounting for well over half of that. In the mobile space the Android flavour of Linux has a good chunk of the market. In scientific computing (supercomputers), Linux pretty much rules.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...rcomputers.svg
    Last edited by alphacrucis2; March 13th, 2013 at 05:21 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterHam View Post
    question 4: Linux is used extensively in many areas. By 'corporate world,' what do you mean? Linux is seeing a bit more use as a desktop OS in the corporate environment, but Microsoft has a firm hold on the corporate desktop so far. But underneath the surface, the corporate world sees more Linux serves than windows servers. In most of the corporate/enterprise environments that I have experienced, most of the windows servers that are used are now virtual systems that are hosted on linux servers.

Multitudes of systems that run corporate networks, the internet, and critical services are either Linux, BSD Unix, Solaris and so forth. Avaya builds their phone systems on Linux (Redhat or Centos), juniper networks base all their networking equipment and security devices on FreeBSD Unix.

The extent to which you will experience Linux versus windows depends on what you want to do in your career.

question 3: visit this link. http://appdb.winehq.org/

question 2: How is it that you are connecting, or trying to connect between the two? samba (the network explorer links on either system)? and what error are you getting?

question 1: I don't think I've seen that before. is it like described in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=482337 ?

4. I was just curious, all my IT school is based on everything Windows so outside of Windows I am not very familiar because they don't teach it. I would really like to learn Linux, just from browsing all the programs that come installed on Ubuntu some of them sound like they would be very useful. I am fascinated by what computers and what OS's they run on in the corporate world, I can't explain it I find it interesting to know what they use. Is there any places you would recommend that would provide information about learning Ubuntu and Linux? Also, going into IT do you think it would be useful to learn Linux?

2. I have setup Samba on my Ubuntu machine and configured a user account. When I go to my 'home' folder on my Ubuntu machine then 'network' I select a Windows computer from my network. It loads for a while then comes up and says it is unable to connect to that computer. How do I take a screenshot on Linux and I will upload one for you.

1. From skimming yes, that seems to be what I am experiencing. When I have some more time I will read the link further and see if I can fix my problem. Is there any 3rd party email clients for Ubuntu that are any good?

Thank you for the help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    At work about half of our servers are running Linux (CentOS). It isn't so widely used on the desktop. I read somewhere, a stat that at least 65% of publicly accessible servers on the internet are running some flavour of unix with various Linux distros accounting for well over half of that. In the mobile space the Android flavour of Linux has a good chunk of the market. In scientific computing (supercomputers), Linux pretty much rules.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...rcomputers.svg

That's fascinating, I like facts like this. I like knowing what is used in the corporate world. Since about 98 Windows has tanked, Linux has skyrocketed and Mac has gone from nothing to even more so nothing. Why do you think Linux and Windows have swapped places?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherdude24 View Post
    3. I have 2 Windows programs I would like to run through Wine to make work on Ubuntu but how do I set that up?

not all programmes run in wine. if you would like a GUI for wine install Play on linux.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

If you are going into IT, I would certainly recommend learning Linux (and if you have the time some Unixes). The fact is that Windows has never been the dominant player in critical computing. Before Windows, before MS-DOS, there was Unix. By the time powerful computers shrunk down from filling a room for one system to having the same power in the size of a suitcase and able to be stacked on top of each other, Unix had changed the world and proven the most stable and useful OS. But it was expensive, and to some extent too difficult to use for non-technical people. So people came up with cheaper systems like MS-DOS, which were still difficult to use for non-technical people.

Technical people simply couldn't afford the powerful Unixes, so Linus Torvalds began a project to bring a Unix to his PC. With alot of issues of licensing and piracy, the philosophy of the GNU project (check that out to) enabled Linus's project to become an open source Unix-like. It acted very much like a Unix, dressed like a unix, talked like a unix, lived in the same areas as unix, but wasn't blood related.

Windows was born for non-tech people to have pretty pictures on a monitor (95,98,me, and all home editions), and MS tried to compete with the Unix and Unix-likes that were being used where power and stability were required (windows NT, windows 2000 pro/server, 2003 server, 2008 server, etc) and because everyone was seeing windows on their desktops, MS had half their advertising done for them.

Now we have Linux, we have Mac OSX which is a unix, we have android which is linux based, apple iOS which is also unix. Huge companies like IBM put as much, if not more, effort behind Linux than their own Unixes.

If your interest in IT is simply supporting some home or office desktops, you could just leave it at learning windows. If you intend to go into system/network administration, web or application development, any sort of large deployment or critical deployment occupation, learning Linux and how similar it is to Unix would truly open an entire world to you.

The good thing about Linux is that it was born online, so you can learn an incredible amount online. Howtos, youtube videos, podcasts, wikis, it's all out there. Check out Debian/Ubuntu documentation, FreeBSD documentation, and so forth. they all have wikis that google will promptly guide you to.

I'll also advise you to check out the online podcasting services of Jupiter Broadcasting at http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/ (Linux Action Show and TechSNAP) and TWiT at http://twit.tv/

2. Have you made sure that file sharing is configured on your windows machine?
    I dream of a world where our lives can remain private, and our technology can remain open to all.

Beans
    Distro

For #3-
    I would use playonlinux which is another Windows emulator which includes Wine. I run Microsoft Office Word through it and it works very well. Here is the link to installing and setting it up. http://www.playonlinux.com/en/manual.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tejpatel98 View Post
    For #3-
    I would use playonlinux which is another Windows emulator which includes Wine. I run Microsoft Office Word through it and it works very well. Here is the link to installing and setting it up. http://www.playonlinux.com/en/manual.html

I used playonlinux to setup my program but when I launch it every time it crashes. Is it something I am doing wrong? Here is a link to what I am trying to install, the client download: http://www.w7callerid.com/downloads.aspx

Beans
    Distro

so this MCE CallerID seems like an addon to WinMCE for some kind of telephony gateway. Is this correct?

If I'm correct, I would recommend investigating asterisk PBX and it's use in this role and extension for the CallerID function...

Also, investigate XBMC to replace WinMCE. I know that when I use my smartphone as the remote, phonecalls and text messages cause playback to be paused, and texts scroll across the bottom. I suspect that someone may have worked out a way to provide the CallerID feature to XBMC also...
    Last edited by RoosterHam; March 14th, 2013 at 05:18 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast