Thread: AMD processor NOAPIC installed successfully, but cannot boot

Beans

Post AMD processor NOAPIC installed successfully, but cannot boot

Hello,
    i have an HP DV5-1115el with an AMD Turion ZM-84 64x2 processor.
    on which i had already installed in the past ubuntu 10 on this laptop without any issues.
    i've recently formatted it and decided to pass on Ubuntu 12.04 from scratch, at first i had this error when booting from CD:
    Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal Machine Check on current CPU
    I quickly solved passing the noapic, acpi=off parameters that i found described in many posts.

It worked flawlessly throught the complete installation until i had to remove the CD and reboot.

When i try to boot now from the main HDD i receive the same kernel panic and errors i had before even if i input the same parameters i gave when installing from CD.

note: im somewhat slightly less than an Ubuntu beginner so i may do wrong on any passage

ps: the full length log is always the same if i give parameters or not

Code:
    [         1.172071] [Hardware Error] : CPU 1: Machine Check Exception : 4 Bank 0: b669c00000000135
    Code:
    [         1.172120] [Hardware Error]: TSC 3ba44a59ea ADDR 373c1ab8
    [         1.172243] [Hardware Error]: Processor 2:200f31 TIME 1362852770 SOCKET 0 APIC 1 microcode 2000057
    [         1.172291] [Hardware Error]: Run the abocve through 'mcelog --ascii'
    [         1.172343] [Hardware Error]: Machine check: invalid
    [         1.172386] [Hardware Error]: Kernel panic - notsyncing: Fatal machine check on current CPU

Last edited by algander; March 9th, 2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: adding the log

Beans

Re: AMD processor NOAPIC installed successfully, but cannot boot

also trying other linux distribuitions did not helped at all, is the cpu damaged at the point to be unusable on linux? possible?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This might be of interest if not of much help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Check_Exception

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

if noapic and acpi=no were added to get the CD to boot, you will need to add those in order to boot the installed Ubuntu as well. force the menu at startup, edit the boot entry and continue on with the boot - that should at least boot your installation. once booted you'll need to change/add entries in the files in /etc/default and/or /etc/grub.d

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sorry - guess I missed that bit of trying the same options on boot of your install - sorry about that. I was going to edit my post but I'm using android right now and haven't figured out that simple thing yet