Thread: system and preferences menu not showing in menu bar.

Beans

Post system and preferences menu not showing in menu bar.

i am on ubuntu 12.04 precise lts. my user account has admin privileges. my menu bar doesn't show SYSTEM and PREFERENCES menu. i tried with alacarte but as soon as i would tick the checkboxes for system and prefernces items after a few moments the ticks would disappear. i tried "sudo-alacarte" it helped with the disappearing act but again the changes didn't materialise.

plz help. itz urgent. i am frustrated with this irksome behaviour of ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: system and preferences menu not showing in menu bar.

Not a Resolution Centre thread.

Thread moved to Absolute Beginners Section.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 11.04 and above do not run the old Gnome 2 software. Instead, the desktop environment in use is Unity, and it doesn't have the same menus as Gnome 2.

You can access system settings through the top-right menu (the one that looks a bit like a cog and a power button) and going to System Settings.

If you right-click on the Ubuntu button at the top-left of the screen, and click Applications, you can bring up a list of installed programs. Some of these used to be in the System or Preferences menu in Gnome 2.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Something in this thread may help you http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859961 What you consider "irksome," I consider simply "great." Perhaps Ubuntu is not for you.

The design of the user interface that you prefer was part of the Gnome 2 desktop environment. The Gnome organization are no longer developing Gnome 2 and have switched to Gnome 3 DE and with it Gnome 3 shell which does not have that look at all. What some people consider to be "Gnome Classic" is going to fall by the wayside and there is not much that the Ubuntu developers can do about it, even if they wanted to. And they do not want to do anything about it. The Gnome organization has indicated that they will provide the "classic" look as an extension to Gnome 3 shell. How that will work out we will have to wait and see. Anyway, you would have to install Gnome 3 shell on Ubuntu and select it as your user interface at the login screen.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530