Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May not go back to Debain after all

Beans

Re: May not go back to Debain after all

Real Debian is not so easy, coming straight from Ubuntu. This is why people who decide they don't like Ubuntu often just jump to the green ship, which is the same OS just with a different theme and a slightly clearer update tool. Really, I'm writing this from an über-pimped-out CentOS with Catalyst etc. but was still out-foxed by a Debian installation yesterday.

Beans

I really like Debian when I tried it. Be prepared to do some work though. Take it as a good learning experience. Ubuntu, Mint, Kubuntu we are seriously spoilt.
    www.techheadz.co.uk
    Selection of tutorials and tips.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can get an "unofficial" Debian net-install CD that has some of the needed firmware already on it. Installation is easy enough, but getting everything to "just work" the way it does in Ubuntu is a big investment of time and thought. My friend actually kept a "Debian diary" to keep track of what he did, what worked and what didn't, what he had learned, stuff like that. It took him about two months to get Debian all set, and it couldn't be done at all if he had stuck to a strict interpretation of the "Debian Way." When he finally declared victory he was laughing at himself. He wrote,
    I could have done this in minutes instead of months. What I finally ended up with is so little different from Xubuntu that it really wasn't worth all that work.
    But it was just for the learning experience, and "bragging rights," as he called it. I was like, "yeah but I'd rather run applications, than the operating system. You go right ahead if you want to" and suddenly those "bragging rights" didn't matter to him anymore.

We should be very grateful for Debian though, since it's the foundation that Ubuntu is built on! Ubuntu brings the power and wonder of Debian to the rest of us, the casual users, the technically challenged non-geeky people. I give the Ubuntu developers "bragging rights" for making Debian usable by us ordinary school kids. But Debian gets even bigger "bragging rights" for building the foundation that so many other Linux distros are built upon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    Real Debian is not so easy, coming straight from Ubuntu. This is why people who decide they don't like Ubuntu often just jump to the green ship, which is the same OS just with a different theme and a slightly clearer update tool. Really, I'm writing this from an über-pimped-out CentOS with Catalyst etc. but was still out-foxed by a Debian installation yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by ade234uk View Post
    I really like Debian when I tried it. Be prepared to do some work though. Take it as a good learning experience. Ubuntu, Mint, Kubuntu we are seriously spoilt.
    Really? NY experience with Debian is that its only slightly more difficult but that's just because my wireless driver is non free. But 5 minutes googling fixed that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12