Thread: bash scripting

Beans

bash scripting

hello,

i'm always trying to do as most as possible via bash scripting, although i have to ask a lot of help here on the forum; (great thank you)

well i have a bash script for printing pdf's in a directory (2 pages per sheet, duplex, fit to page)

#!/bin/bash
    for file in *.pdf do lp -o media=a4 -o number-up=2 -o fit-to-page -o sides=two-sided-long-edge "$file" done

i got 2 questions:

1)how can i modify the script to print everything in a directory (say: work) (included all pdf's in directories under the directory work: for example /work/monday/ ) is it possible to first search all pdf files with the find command and then feed them into de existing script ? that way i could automate a lot of scripts

2)is it possible to print to a new pdf file; something like an automated pdftk; i suppose again with the find command coupled with the pdftk i could get there.

thanks guys and ladies

Beans

Re: bash scripting

There are several ways to "do something" with a bunch of files from a 'find' command, including just piping and piping via xargs. However a nice robust way that I've picked up from one of the smart folks on here is

Code:
    while read -r -d $'\0' file
    do
      something with "$file"
    done < <(find /path/to/search tests -print0)
    What I like about it is (a) it handles any legal filename without word-splitting and (b) [I think - never really tested it] it buffers the 'find' output in a similar way to xargs - which just piping the find output to the "do something" command may not

Beans

thanks steeldriver,

but i don't get it,
    i have read the manpage of the read command.
    could you please elaborate a bit ? or use it with my script ?

sorry, but this is to hard for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Code:
    while read -r -d $'\0' file
    do
      echo "working with file $file"
       lp -o media=a4 -o number-up=2 -o fit-to-page -o sides=two-sided-long-edge "$file"
    done < <(find /path/to/stuff -iname '*.pdf' -print0)
    it does pretty much the same thing as for file in *; do ... done but in a more roundabout, recursive way.

find looks for files according to criteria you give it (eg -iname '*.pdf') and its null-delimited output (-print0) feeds the loop.
    General idea is this:
    Code:
    while read variable(s) ; do [stuff with variable(s)]; done < <( some_command )
    By default while read combo will eat 'records' delimited by newlines one by one (in other words line by line), but here we set delimiter to null char to match the format of find output ( -d $'\0'). That means that each filename found by find gets in perfect condition to the loop body inside the file variable and from now on it's exactly the same story as with the for loop

and if you want to simply see the file names, just run the same find command but without -print0 (it's not too human readable with it)
    Last edited by Vaphell; March 12th, 2013 at 01:55 AM.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls