Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Who wants to test wayland on raring after 5 years of development?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    9,205
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

    Who wants to test wayland on raring after 5 years of development?

    Another member suggested this thread.

    I tried , before and then just recently and I can't get past the screen that looks like an old blanket, although I was able to run FF and gksu gedit etc... but I had to be in the Weston compositor @ALT+CTRL+F1 but it would not work in terminal under Ubuntu. Maybe there is hope for it .. I dunno..

    peace

    errr.. MIR that is

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Who wants to test wayland on raring after 5 years of development?

    LOL!

    United. Err .... Unity that is

    Seriously. No. I cannot be serious about any of this fuss. Not when I think of the serious and sad situations that many are in all over the world. But, anyway there has been some testing in this forum.

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1906762

    Was tempted myself. But it looks too much like work.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 11th, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    242
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Who wants to test wayland on raring after 5 years of development?

    Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    LOL! United. Err .... Unity that is
    This?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    9,205
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

    Re: Who wants to test wayland on raring after 5 years of development?

    ah HAHAHAHA haha ...!... Yeah .. yes .. all we need now is some Harmony

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    9,205
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

    Re: Who wants to test wayland on raring after 5 years of development?

    Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post

    Thanks for posting this. I needed to see this.

    "The next ISO I hope to release in 64 bit and 32 bit, and provide a Wayland native login manager to completely remove X from startup"

    It's all more clear now.
    Last edited by ventrical; March 11th, 2013 at 04:26 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    9,205
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

    Re: Who wants to test wayland on raring after 5 years of development?

    Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    LOL!

    United. Err .... Unity that is

    Seriously. No. I cannot be serious about any of this fuss. Not when I think of the serious and sad situations that many are in all over the world. But, anyway there has been some testing in this forum.

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1906762

    Was tempted myself. But it looks too much like work.

    Yep .. seen that .. tempted also. Point is that it is still running in X.

  7. #7

    Re: Who wants to test wayland on raring after 5 years of development?

    I believe Maui is adopting SDDM soon and should offer a login and desktop compositor for a full Wayland experience.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Who wants to test wayland on raring after 5 years of development?

    Quote Originally Posted by cole.mickens View Post
    I believe Maui is adopting SDDM soon and should offer a login and desktop compositor for a full Wayland experience.
    This.

    @Ventrical: no disrespect, but you're confusing weston with wayland. Weston is the 'old carpet' thing. That's the default desktop shell, it's just a demo of what's possible (and to be honest, not a very impressive one). However, once people start getting creative with Wayland (the protocol), there's a whole load of possibilites. The maui project is quite an impressive desktop shell if you can get it working, see here: http://www.maui-project.org/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Magic City of the Plains
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: Who wants to test wayland on raring after 5 years of development?

    Moved to Community Cafe.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    9,205
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

    Re: Who wants to test wayland on raring after 5 years of development?

    Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    This.

    @Ventrical: no disrespect, but you're confusing weston with wayland. Weston is the 'old carpet' thing. That's the default desktop shell, it's just a demo of what's possible (and to be honest, not a very impressive one). However, once people start getting creative with Wayland (the protocol), there's a whole load of possibilites. The maui project is quite an impressive desktop shell if you can get it working, see here: http://www.maui-project.org/
    I really wish the whole project well and that it may be a success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •