Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading Operating System ... Read Error

Beans

Re: Loading Operating System ... Read Error

Yes, same error, and with the supergrub it boots just fine.
    AHCI is definately ON because otherwise my Windows won't boot.

About removing the ATA option... how do I do that? I just tried boot-repair and enabled ATA support, which helps nothing. Maybe you mean I should try without enabling the ATA option? However, these are grub options, right? So if somehow the system is unable to load grub, will these options make any difference then?

PS: new boot-info report: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5611444/

EDIT: Boot-repair has an option to repair or reinstall the MBR, so I tried that. Instead of "read error" I then got "operating system not found". Then boot-repair again to reinstall grub (without ATA checkbox), and now I have the "read error" again.

Maybe I could try to downgrade my bios version to see if that helps?
    Last edited by bmaster001; March 13th, 2013 at 07:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I do not understand why grub is showing an embedded config file. That is for installs to a PBR or where a drive is mis-configured and there is not enough room for core.img right after the MBR. Do you have some DRM software or something else in sectors 1 -34 or whatever core.img now needs?

I would leave the Windows boot loader in sdb, but since sdc is just a data drive, you could experiment with installing grub to sdc and then boot that drive from BIOS. More of a test than a solution.

If booted
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdc
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Do you have an example of such software? I don't think I have that... but you never know. Is there way to find out?

I tried installing grub to sdc but I'm afraid it gives the exact same error. So it has nothing to do with the kind of disk, ssd or normal. It looks like it's a problem with the sata controller or something? Or maybe not, because the cdrom is on the same sata controller and with supergrub it boots just fine.

PS: I opened a case with gigabyte two days ago, but of course they have not responded yet...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It was primarily flexnet which came with a lot of expensive licensed Windows software, which would be on the Windows drive usually sector 34 and grub has a work around for that. Some Dell's or others.

In Windows 7, had to remove Windows 7 DataSafe.
    HP ProtectTools, Dell Recovery, flexnet and a few others write into MBR

I found these in my notes, some are opposite of faster booting which you want with a SSD.
    UEFI or Intel new systems:
    Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 with I7-3820
    Needed F6 to set ACPI=Off and nomodeset
    pci=nomsi or ACPI=Off
    quiet splash vt.handoff=7 rootdelay=90 reboot=a,w
    fixed the problem by adding rootdelay to grub.cfg this allows time for the usb drive to load.

If you get grub menu you can experiment with boot options, but I doubt that Supergrub is adding any of them. I do not know details of Supergrub, but I thought it was just grub2 that searched for installs on a system and directly booted them. Which is all grub2 in MBR should be doing.

some other settings that users have commented on

changing newer BIOS SATA 6 Gbit/s from 6 Gbs to a SATA II - 3Gbs
    BIOS & disable "Boot Sector Virus Protection"
    Other BIOS settings - Security or locked down Boot sector, Bitlocker
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I don't think I have that kind of software.
    Thanks for the tips about the grub options, but I can't try them because I don't get to the point that I can use F6. My problem occurs before grub is loaded I think...
    That description about supergrub sounds about right... that how it behaves here anyway: it searches all disks for bootable operating systems.

In the bios I don't see anything related to the sata ports or virus protection. I tried some other options but nothing helps

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

From a grub menu you can press e and edit the boot line, or add paramaters. From Supergrub I might see if it auto adds some parameter that makes it work?

Beans

I see. But am I right when I say that in my case that won't help me much because grub is not loading when I boot from harddisk? It needs to load first, before it can use any options I might add, no? See screenshot for the boot-line of supergrub when it has detected my ubuntu installation...

PS: Gigabyte answered to my ticket: "We don’t guaranty Ubuntu OS on our board. So that here is only a suggestion that you can refer to: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair"
    Very helpfull :-/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Supergrub is using parameters, so it is more difficult to see the exact command it is using. But matching them up seems to be just the standard version. It is using -17.

Someone in another thread said the first version as installed of the kernel would boot, but all the newer ones from updates would not. And it seemed to be the first had the .efi extension which meant it would work in either secure boot or BIOS and all the newer ones did not have the .efi extension.

Beans

Hmm, but my pc doesn't even get to the point of loading a kernel, so I think the boot-problem with newer kernels will be my next problem, if I ever get the current problem fixed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12