Thread: Dell Optiplex 755 (Intel 82Q35 Integrated Graphics) Ubuntu 12.04 slow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dell Optiplex 755 (Intel 82Q35 Integrated Graphics) Ubuntu 12.04 slow

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help resolve this problem for me as I have tried searching about this without any luck. I have a Dell Optiplex 755 desktop and I decided to replace Windows Vista with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. However, using 12.04 is extremely sluggish at times (the user interface) and application windows regularly stall and fade (freezing). I have seen this bug report which looks identical to the problem I am having.

Specifications: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4700 @ 2.60GHz × 2 and 2 GB RAM.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Beans

Re: Dell Optiplex 755 (Intel 82Q35 Integrated Graphics) Ubuntu 12.04 slow

@bastones, what is your monitor resolution? Are you running a dual monitor setup?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGil View Post
    @bastones, what is your monitor resolution? Are you running a dual monitor setup?
    Hi Phil,

Thanks for your response. 1920 x 1080, and I'm not running a dual-monitor set up.

Thanks,

Ben.

Beans
    Distro

Just to update, I have upgraded from 12.04 LTS to 13.04 just to see whether it is any faster, and it does seem a lot faster using it in general. Although for some reason the Unity Dash and the new shutdown/restart "Are you sure?" dialogue overlays seem to have graphical artifacts (see screenshot, and this displaying the artificats in the overlay shutdown dialogue and a thread someone else has posted about the same problem).
    Last edited by bastones; June 2nd, 2013 at 02:29 AM.

Beans

Thank you, Ben. The reason I asked about your monitor setup is because the chipset has a maximum resolution when using hardware acceleration. I have two 755's and discovered the problem when I added a 2nd monitor to my office machine – suddenly my desktop slowed to a crawl. It turned out the combined horizontal resolution of the two monitors (1280px + 1600px) was too large for the graphics to handle, and I had to switch to a non-composited XFCE setup.

I'm sorry that this doesn't solve your problem. For what it's worth, I use Debian 7 and hardware acceleration in Gnome 3 works fine on my home machine (which has a single 1920x1080 monitor). As Wheezy and Ubuntu 12.04 package versions are roughly equivalent, I'd start looking at what's different – maybe Compiz would be a good place to start.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro

Just to provide an update regarding the screen artifacts in the Dash and the Shutdown/Restart dialogues, see this bug report. A workaround for this issue for now is to use the Unity Tweak Tool (found in the Ubuntu Software Centre). From the Unity Tweak Tool, go to Unity -> Search and disable the background blur.