Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Performance advice...

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Beans
    34

    Re: Performance advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by jsabina1 View Post
    Yep I've used this code..
    And as I am ... newbie.. I couldn't see it and I was getting mad
    Then I discovered that in the login page you can choose in which enviroment you want to login.
    So I think you can login back to GNOME if you don't like it.

    But it's so much faster that now really I am only using lubuntu and I like it a lot!
    Acutally, if you installed over the base Ubuntu, you technically aren't actually running Lubuntu, which is a whole separated Ubuntu distro based on LXDX, what you are running is LXDE overlaid on top of the standard Unity version of Ubuntu.

    I mention this, not to be overly technical, but just so if you ever need more help, you know exactly what you have

    LXDE does work very nicely - you don't get quite the level of desktop integration and goodies as you have available in Gnome Classic (which is why it's nice to have access to both) but LXDE is catching up fast on features, and it's definitely quite a bit faster.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    34
    Distro
    Lubuntu

    Re: Performance advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by p_code View Post
    Acutally, if you installed over the base Ubuntu, you technically aren't actually running Lubuntu, which is a whole separated Ubuntu distro based on LXDX, what you are running is LXDE overlaid on top of the standard Unity version of Ubuntu.

    I mention this, not to be overly technical, but just so if you ever need more help, you know exactly what you have

    LXDE does work very nicely - you don't get quite the level of desktop integration and goodies as you have available in Gnome Classic (which is why it's nice to have access to both) but LXDE is catching up fast on features, and it's definitely quite a bit faster.
    Thanks a lot..
    So I could have better performance reinstalling everything only using lubuntu?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK Lake District
    Beans
    3,092
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Performance advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by jsabina1 View Post
    Thanks a lot..
    So I could have better performance reinstalling everything only using lubuntu?
    Technically it shouldn't be necessary to do a clean install, but in practice it does seem to work that way.
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Beans
    11,480
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Performance advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by jsabina1 View Post
    Thanks a lot..
    So I could have better performance reinstalling everything only using lubuntu?
    I don't think so. Lubuntu is Ubuntu, but with LXDE instead of Unity. If you have both desktops installed but only use LXDE your computer will be running the exact same code as Lubuntu.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    34
    Distro
    Lubuntu

    Re: Performance advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I don't think so. Lubuntu is Ubuntu, but with LXDE instead of Unity. If you have both desktops installed but only use LXDE your computer will be running the exact same code as Lubuntu.
    ok so it's not true that

    "what you are running is LXDE overlaid on top of the standard Unity version of Ubuntu"


    I am only trying to undertand what is the best thing to do, thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •