Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network manager keeps asking for wireless password after suspend

Beans

Network manager keeps asking for wireless password after suspend

When I first boot up my laptop computer, my computer logs in to my wireless network without any problem and it does so automatically.
    If I close the lid on my my laptop/suspend/hibernate computer, and then wake it and unlock it, I keep getting prompted for my wireless network password, even though the prompt for my network actually shows that it has my password saved. My network connection properties also have the network settings and password saved for all users.
    It doesn't matter what desktop environment I use. Both Gnome 3.6 and Unity have the same problem. I'm using Ubuntu 13.04.
    I've looked at some of the previous posts on this topic and they seem to refer to earlier versions of Ubuntu (a lot of 10.x and 11.x). None of those answers seem to help. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Network manager keeps asking for wireless password after suspend

Welcome to the forums.

You are aware that 13.04 is still testing and not released until end of April? Unless you are already familiar with Ubuntu/Linux it is not a good place to start. If you are just getting into it I would suggest starting with a stable, known beast, 12.04 LTS, which is supported until April 2017 (13.04 will be supported for 18 months from release date).

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@ahleron , could you please share your network wireless card?

Code:
    lspci | grep Network

Beans

I didn't even want to upgrade to 13.04. I was installing gnome and blamo...along the way I ended up with 13.04. Not sure what I did. Obviously I must have typed a bad command into terminal during apt-get. On the upside, everything else about 13.04 seems to work pretty well, but I thought it was a good idea to post this since 13.04 is still under development. I figured the developers would see it.

Beans

It is a:

0d:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

You are aware that 13.04 is still testing and not released until end of April? Unless you are already familiar with Ubuntu/Linux it is not a good place to start. If you are just getting into it I would suggest starting with a stable, known beast, 12.04 LTS, which is supported until April 2017 (13.04 will be supported for 18 months from release date).

Cheers.
    Well aware of that. In fact, I had not intended to run 13.04 at all. I had downloaded and installed Ubuntu 12.10, but then decided that I wanted to run Gnome Shell so I updated everything and then followed the instructions listed here:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-t...esktop-in.html

The next thing I knew, I had 13.04. I'm not exactly sure what step along the way did it, but that's what happened to lead me to 13.04. I figured meh...it gets released next month anyway...no big deal, I'll just keep it.

While I certainly would like to resolve the problem, I also wanted to post it here since I figured the developers would see it and be made aware of the problem so it might be fixed prior to release.

Beans
    Distro

Well aware of that. In fact, I had not intended to run 13.04 at all. I had downloaded and installed Ubuntu 12.10, but then decided that I wanted to run Gnome Shell so I updated everything and then followed the instructions listed here:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-t...esktop-in.html
    Really? By just installing ubuntu-gnome-desktop packages will upgrade 12.10 to 13.04?

Could you please share the output of the following commands:

Code:
    cat /etc/issue && echo -n && lsb_release -a && echo -n && uname -a

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    Really? By just installing ubuntu-gnome-desktop packages will upgrade 12.10 to 13.04?

Could you please share the output of the following commands:

Code:
    cat /etc/issue && echo -n && lsb_release -a && echo -n && uname -a
    Huh...interesting. Wasn't familiar with that...but it says 12.1 though system details (what I used to check version) reports that I have 13.04 (see screenshot).

Ubuntu 12.10 \n \l

LSB Version: core-2.0-ia32:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-ia32:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-ia32:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-ia32:core-4.0-noarch:cxx-3.0-ia32:cxx-3.0-noarch:cxx-3.1-ia32:cxx-3.1-noarch:cxx-3.2-ia32:cxx-3.2-noarch:cxx-4.0-ia32:cxx-4.0-noarch:desktop-3.1-ia32:desktop-3.1-noarch:desktop-3.2-ia32:desktop-3.2-noarch:desktop-4.0-ia32:desktop-4.0-noarch:graphics-2.0-ia32:graphics-2.0-noarch:graphics-3.0-ia32:graphics-3.0-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.2-ia32:graphics-3.2-noarch:graphics-4.0-ia32:graphics-4.0-noarchrinting-3.2-ia32rinting-3.2-noarchrinting-4.0-ia32rinting-4.0-noarch:qt4-3.1-ia32:qt4-3.1-noarch
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 12.10
    Release: 12.10
    Codename: quantal
    Linux Laptop 3.5.0-25-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 25 19:02:34 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

Screenshot from 2013-03-12 07:40:47.png

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Google around "ubuntu wireless password", and you'll get an Askubuntu answer (sorry here the copy/paste is broken right now)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ahleron View Post
    ... it says 12.1 though system details (what I used to check version) reports that I have 13.04 (see screenshot).
    Hmmm. I vaguely remember this being reported as a 12.10 bug. The output from the command shows that you are using 12.10 and I think the appropriate kernel so not sure you have upgraded to 13.04.

@ dino99: Not sure what you mean about the copy/paste not working. On the forums or on your machine? Please clarify.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast