Thread: batch convert flac to alac using avconv

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

batch convert flac to alac using avconv

I've read about this in several around the web. The command everyone seems to recommend is:
    Code:
    for f in *.flac; do avconv -i "$f" -c:a alac "${f%.flac}.m4a"; done
    When I hit enter, it kicks back:
    *.flac: No such file or directory

I know that avconv works, because I've tried it with a single file using:
    Code:
    avconv -i audio.flac -acodec alac audio.m4a
    The thing I seem to be missing is how to point the batch command to the folder where my FLAC files are located, which is:
    /media/250GB/Lossless

What am I overlooking?
    I asked the Lord for patience and He led me to Linux
    Linux User #470874 | Ubuntu User #22063

Beans
    Distro

Re: batch convert flac to alac using avconv

Code:
    cd /media/250GB/Lossless
    for f in *.flac; do avconv -i "$f" -c:a alac "${f%.flac}.m4a"; done

## or

for f in /media/250GB/Lossless/*.flac; do avconv -i "$f" -c:a alac "${f%.flac}.m4a"; done

Beans
    Distro

Hmmm, still kicking back No such file or directory.

There are multiple subdirectories in the main file, each with a name like:
    /media/250GB/Lossless/Artist/Album

But I would think that the wildcard (*.flac) would take care of that.

Beans
    Distro

Nah, for loops don't work recursively. For that, you'll need to use find.

Code:
    cd /media/250GB/Lossless
    find . -type f -name "*.flac" -exec bash -c 'avconv -i "$0" -c:a alac "${0/%flac/m4a}"' '{}' \;

## or

find /media/250GB/Lossless -type f -name "*.flac" -exec bash -c 'avconv -i "$0" -c:a alac "${0/%flac/m4a}"' '{}' \;
    Make sure you get all the quotes right.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you, thank you. I will mark this SOLVED.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by evilsoup View Post
    Nah, for loops don't work recursively. For that, you'll need to use find.

Code:
    cd /media/250GB/Lossless
    find . -type f -name "*.flac" -exec bash -c 'avconv -i "$0" -c:a alac "${0/%flac/m4a}"' '{}' \;

## or

find /media/250GB/Lossless -type f -name "*.flac" -exec bash -c 'avconv -i "$0" -c:a alac "${0/%flac/m4a}"' '{}' \;
    Make sure you get all the quotes right.
    evilsoup, would I be asking to much for you to explain all the little pieces in the instruction? I've always had a problem grasping bash scripting (not enough experience I guess). I've recently picked up an iPad, thus my reason for the conversion, but I'd like to keep things seperated. As you've written the instruction, it writes the output file in the same directory as the input file. My directory structure looks like ~/music/flac/artist/album ~/music/mp3/artist/album. What I'd like to have is ~/music/m4a/artist/album. Umfortunately, for me, I'm not sure what to change in your command to get the result I'm looking for.

Here is the way I'm reading (understanding) your command:

find is looking for a file ending with .flac It begins its search at the level of the directory specified ( either . or /media/250GB/Lossless)

The result of the find command is being assigned to the variable $0 then executes bash

bash starts and runs the command (-c) contained in the string, defined by single quotes, 'avconv -i "$0" -c:a alac "${0/%flac/m4a}"' , so avconv starts up.

the input file for avconv is $0
    -c:a indicates this will be an audio conversion and the output will be apple lossless (alac)
    the output filename is "${0/%flac/m4a}".

Between the parenthasis 0 is the path from the original file, but I don't know what %flac does. I know it has to be a variable of some type, but I don't understand where the varable comes from, nor exactly what it designates. Could you explain this pleae? I'm thinking it is this variable that I would need to change to accomplish the directory structure I'd like to have. m4a designates the filename extension to use. Where does the . (dot) come from in the filename? I'm guessing the use of slashes are breaking up the various parts of the variable name and somehow (I don't understand the difference between the first slash and the last slash) indicate a . needs to be placed here.

I also don't understand the meaning of '{}' , I'm thinking this part of the find command.
    I think, but I am unsure that \; ends the find command; if I'm wrong could you tell me what it means?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited by billmc2; March 10th, 2013 at 02:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro

${0/%flac/m4a} is using bash's string substitution; in this case, it's telling bash "take the variable $0, but replace the last instance of 'flac' with 'm4a'". The '%' in front of 'flac' tells it to only replace the last instance of flac in the string, otherwise it would replace all instances of 'flac' with 'm4a'.

'{}' is a part of the find command. Find will run the command specified by '-exec' once for each file found (each '*.flac' in the specified directory, or subdirectories, in this case), and '{}' specifies the current file found by find. I hope that makes sense. '{}' becomes "$0" in the bash commandline, because it's the first positional parameter - bash sees the whole avconv string ('avconv -i "$0" -c:a alac "${0/%flac/m4a}"') as a single argument, since it is contained within the ' ' single-quotes.

\; tells find's exec where to stop, yes; find will execute everything between '-exec' and '\;', once per file found by the pattern.

Beans

${0/%flac/m4a} is using bash's string substitution; in this case, it's telling bash "take the variable $0, but replace the last instance of 'flac' with 'm4a'". The '%' in front of 'flac' tells it to only replace the last instance of flac in the string, otherwise it would replace all instances of 'flac' with 'm4a'.
    OK, that makes sense to me, whether I remember in the future, I guess, will depend on how much I use it.

'{}' is a part of the find command. Find will run the command specified by '-exec' once for each file found (each '*.flac' in the specified directory, or subdirectories, in this case), and '{}' specifies the current file found by find. I hope that makes sense. .
    This too, makes sense to me.

'{}' becomes "$0" in the bash commandline, because it's the first positional parameter - bash sees the whole avconv string ('avconv -i "$0" -c:a alac "${0/%flac/m4a}"') as a single argument, since it is contained within the ' ' single-quotes..
    This part here is twisting my head a bit, at least for what I want to do. I'm OK with everything from '{}' being assigned to $0; but it seems to indicate to me I'd need another variable someplace, to change the directory tree to what I want.
    Starting from the full path listing, using the directory structure I described:

$0=~/music/flac/artist/album/song.flac
    'avconv -i "$0" -c:a alac "${0/%flac/m4a}"'
    changes $0 to =~/music/flac/artist/album/song.m4a

Question: can I expand your variable to create another directory tree?
    'avconv -i "$0" -c:a alac "${0/%flac/m4a/%flac/m4a}"'

Better yet, after rereading what you said about the % sign. If it weren't there it would replace all instances of flac with m4a, maybe I change to this:
    'avconv -i "$0" -c:a alac "${0/flac/m4a}"'
    My $0 would have two instances of flac in it, the directory and the filename extension. So based upon how I understood your answer, this should replace both flac occurances, creating another directory, yes?

\; tells find's exec where to stop, yes;
    find will execute everything between '-exec' and '\;', once per file found by the
    pattern.
    find is sorta like a loop, it'll keep going until it finds no more; correct?

Bill

Beans

Well, neither of my ideas worked at creating new directories. The resultant output stated "No such file or directory".

The good news is that :
    "${0/%flac/m4a/%flac/m4a}" = "${0/flac/m4a}"

They both produce the same output:
    ~/music/m4a/artist/album/song.m4a

At this point for me, its a learning experience in how to use the shell. I could use the command provided to create the m4a files and move them maunally; but being a basically lazy guy, I'd rather have the machine do it; I just need to learn how to coax the machine into doing it.