Thread: Giving Steam its own partition

Beans

Giving Steam its own partition

I've long played WoW on multiple distros using Wine. My trick was to install all my windows software in its own partition which I would mount to ~/.wine/drive_c/Programs during startup. This successfully isolated the Windows software for use in multiple editions of Wine, under different distros, and I didn't have to install WoW (or anything else) over again for every distro and/or release. Since I am an inveterate distro-hopper using a shared connection with people who can get really unhappy if I hog all the bandwidth, this was important to me.

But I want to do something similar with regards to Steam, that is, have a patition dedicated to it, that can be used by multiple distros/releases.

Where would its mount point be? My current guess is that I could use ~/.local/share/Steam (most of the links in ~/.Steam appear to point there) but I am not sure.

Does everything needed go in there?

Is anything in there (or ~/.Steam) that is distro- or release-specific? Does anybody have any thoughts?
    When you make laws to control foolish others, you forge the chains that will be used to control you.
    My blog
    my pre-blog website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Giving Steam its own partition

In the steam-settings you can define exactly where you want to download your games to, other partitions included.

You can't, however, delete the default download-folder, so everytime you download a game you get the option of choosing one of the 2 (or more) download-locations you've defined.

When you reinstall Steam on a new distro, just point it towards your previous download-folder and voila.
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraDK View Post
    In the steam-settings you can define exactly where you want to download your games to, other partitions included.

You can't, however, delete the default download-folder, so everytime you download a game you get the option of choosing one of the 2 (or more) download-locations you've defined.
    No, I can't. I can define other directories as libraries for steam, but I can't select them as the destination for a download. They go to default or they don't go at all.
    When you make laws to control foolish others, you forge the chains that will be used to control you.
    My blog
    my pre-blog website

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arkanabar View Post
    But I want to do something similar with regards to Steam, that is, have a patition dedicated to it, that can be used by multiple distros/releases.

Where would its mount point be? My current guess is that I could use ~/.local/share/Steam (most of the links in ~/.Steam appear to point there) but I am not sure.
    I suggest installing steam in /golfshoes/ it's as good a place as any, drives the FHS crowd crazy, and it's a constant reminder that you need golf shoes to walk in all this muck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Are you sure you don't get to choose where the games download to, I have this option available...

Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Yeah I get the same result as Cheesemill.

Maybe you haven't mounted the new partition before you start up Steam? I forgot to do it once and then all my installed games got greyed out (as in "not installed"); tried to install a game and I didn't get the option of choosing install-location, it just went ahead and installed to the default-location.

Closed Steam, mounted the partition, launched Steam, it worked normally again.
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans
    Distro

It looks like this is an issue with some games.

I've just tried installing Counter Strike: Source and it didn't give me the option like it did with Osmos. It's probably worth raising the issue with Valve.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    It looks like this is an issue with some games.

I've just tried installing Counter Strike: Source and it didn't give me the option like it did with Osmos. It's probably worth raising the issue with Valve.
    Hmm... same here. And it isn't disk-space either.

If I had to venture a wild guess: Probably all the original Source-engine games gets installed to the default directory because they share a lot of the basic code. All games except CS-Source, TF2 and TF2 beta gives me the prompt for location.

I'd still call it a bug though, those games can be huge so that may not be a possibility for those of us who use a small, fast HD for the OS and big clunky ones for the rest.
    Last edited by ZarathustraDK; March 12th, 2013 at 12:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraDK View Post
    If I had to venture a wild guess: Probably all the original Source-engine games gets installed to the default directory because they share a lot of the basic code. All games except CS-Source, TF2 and TF2 beta gives me the prompt for location.
    That was exactly what I was thinking

I'll raise a support ticket with Valve and see if I can get an answer.
    Cheesemill

Beans

That would be it. I was trying to install TF2.
    My blog
    my pre-blog website