Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell WiFi not working in 12.10

Beans

Re: Dell WiFi not working in 12.10

I tried the same steps on one of my colleagues system who has the same laptop but failed
    here is the terminal message:
    :~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i wire*.deb
    (Reading database ... 151446 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace wireless-bcm43142-dkms 6.20.55.19-1 (using wireless-bcm43142-dkms_6.20.55.19-1_amd64.deb) ...

------------------------------
    Deleting module version: 6.20.55.19
    completely from the DKMS tree.
    ------------------------------
    Done.
    Unpacking replacement wireless-bcm43142-dkms ...
    Setting up wireless-bcm43142-dkms (6.20.55.19-1) ...
    Loading new wireless-bcm43142-6.20.55.19 DKMS files...
    Building only for 3.5.0-17-generic
    Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
    kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    problem was fixed after executing above commands
    Last edited by ashish811; March 13th, 2013 at 02:18 PM.

Beans

Hi ashish811,

I have a query and problem of my own which requires advice!

I have the same Dell Inspiron 3421 (i5, 1GB NVIDIA graphics, 4gb RAM, etc.) which came pre-installed with Ubuntu 12.04LTS. I suppose that the version was a specially customised version of Ubuntu by Dell for this 3421 system with in-built drivers,etc. So I made a Dell Ubuntu 12.04LTS recovery disk as they prompted to me the first time I powered-ON my system. Then, I formatted the whole drive, wiped out everything and installed my unused copy of Win-7-Pro-64bit, its working successfully without problems. Now I wanted to load Ubuntu as the secondary dual boot OS to my system with Win-7 being Primary. So i tried the following ways:

1) I Used the Dell Ubuntu Recovery Disk to install ubuntu 12.04 LTS. In the setup interface I selected "LOAD AND INSTALL ONLY MY UBUNTU PARTITIONS". Created the ext4/ and swap for the installations,etc. Everything went on OK and files got copied successfully The system restarted and the next stage of the setup began where I had to type in computer name, username, password,etc. which I did. Evrything seemed ok. but then the progress bar shows CONFIGURING and the setup stops showing an error message that "Installation has stoped/encounterd a problem/will not continue, Do you want to send error report?" ------------ SO IN SHORT THIS OPTION I TRIED OVER AND OVER AGAIN BUT DID'NT WORK. WHY is it happening?Is'nt the recovery medium supposed to work? HOW DO I SOLVE IT?

2) Next I downloaded the fresh Ubuntu 12.04LTS 64bit from the Ubuntu website. I loaded it on a PenDrive using the UNIVERSAL USB INSTALLER and tried booting from USB. It booted successfully and shows the 1st option screen Try Ubuntu, Install, Mem Test,etc. But when I select the option Install on Hard Drive/Try Ubuntu the screen goes blank and the same list of options appear again. ------WHY is it happening? HOW DO I SOLVE IT?

3) I suppose 12.04LTS is always more stable due to the LTS. but will installing the latest 12.10 will help in anyway? Why did'nt the Dell Ubuntu recovery disk work?

What do I do? Can anyone help me? all responses will be appreciated as I am new to Linux/Ubuntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickton View Post
    Hi ashish811,

I have a query and problem of my own which requires advice!

I have the same Dell Inspiron 3421 (i5, 1GB NVIDIA graphics, 4gb RAM, etc.) which came pre-installed with Ubuntu 12.04LTS. I suppose that the version was a specially customised version of Ubuntu by Dell for this 3421 system with in-built drivers,etc. So I made a Dell Ubuntu 12.04LTS recovery disk as they prompted to me the first time I powered-ON my system. Then, I formatted the whole drive, wiped out everything and installed my unused copy of Win-7-Pro-64bit, its working successfully without problems. Now I wanted to load Ubuntu as the secondary dual boot OS to my system with Win-7 being Primary. So i tried the following ways:

1) I Used the Dell Ubuntu Recovery Disk to install ubuntu 12.04 LTS. In the setup interface I selected "LOAD AND INSTALL ONLY MY UBUNTU PARTITIONS". Created the ext4/ and swap for the installations,etc. Everything went on OK and files got copied successfully The system restarted and the next stage of the setup began where I had to type in computer name, username, password,etc. which I did. Evrything seemed ok. but then the progress bar shows CONFIGURING and the setup stops showing an error message that "Installation has stoped/encounterd a problem/will not continue, Do you want to send error report?" ------------ SO IN SHORT THIS OPTION I TRIED OVER AND OVER AGAIN BUT DID'NT WORK. WHY is it happening?Is'nt the recovery medium supposed to work? HOW DO I SOLVE IT?

2) Next I downloaded the fresh Ubuntu 12.04LTS 64bit from the Ubuntu website. I loaded it on a PenDrive using the UNIVERSAL USB INSTALLER and tried booting from USB. It booted successfully and shows the 1st option screen Try Ubuntu, Install, Mem Test,etc. But when I select the option Install on Hard Drive/Try Ubuntu the screen goes blank and the same list of options appear again. ------WHY is it happening? HOW DO I SOLVE IT?

3) I suppose 12.04LTS is always more stable due to the LTS. but will installing the latest 12.10 will help in anyway? Why did'nt the Dell Ubuntu recovery disk work?

What do I do? Can anyone help me? all responses will be appreciated as I am new to Linux/Ubuntu!

Firstly, post your query to the correct section.

I presume that you tried to install Ubuntu on a separate partition. If not then please do so.
    Create a partition from withing Windows or from the Ubuntu installation media where they ask you to select the location to install Ubuntu(Choose the Something Else option).
    Try using another PenDrive if you still get the error.
    Re-post in the Forums in the CORRECT section to get further help from experts. (I'm just a simple user )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12