Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best games on ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Best games on ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ViliX64 View Post
    I would like more free games than paying for them..
    search reloaded website that has reviews from various free games. prabably most are widnows based but there are also some that have linux ports. only they are independent so someitmes quality is not good. but sometimes it is. that's where the reviews come in to help you decide.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Amnesia: The Dark Descent isn't free, but more than worth the price, in my opinion. Same with the Penumbra series, if you like horror.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'm new to horror games. What is the goal in these games? Mostly survival?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvagunder View Post
    ENTIRELY survival, and hiding, and, if you wear headphones and (especially) play in the dark, you can have a pretty scary (if enjoyable) experience.

Of course, if that isn't your cup of tea, proceed accordingly.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Amnesia: The Dark Descent <--- +500 @ this game.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvagunder View Post
    The goal is to be scared out of your wits!

Beans

Put me down as another vote for the Humble Bundle being the best value. Get on their mailing list, I've got some great games for Linux (and also my Android phone) through them, at less than a dollar a game most times so far (unless I'm cashed up and generous, entirely up to the user how much they pay, though above the average gives you better value). I've also got Steam on Linux, and have added the Steam Keys through there. Not sure why yet, though it is nice to see all my achievements, etc lined up for me.

I'm surprised Machinarium hasn't been mentioned yet - gorgeous, and great fun. I'm loving this renaissance in point-and-click games (though that may just be because I'm old enough to remember the first time) :/. I highly recommend installing ScummVM and playing through some of the oldies. If you can get hold of any of the Monkey Island games they're hilarious! Beneath a Steel Sky is available for free through the repos if you want to check out how it works.

If you liked 'World of Goo' I recommend 'Sprites' - a different vibe, but the same level puzzler gameplay - think mellowed out lemmings playing pan pipes. Limbo is a different, action-based, puzzler (think lemmings after their psychotic break. In the dark. With chainsaws. It's dark (in visuals and in mood) but still fun to play with friends or alone.

All three (World of Goo, Sprites, and Limbo) have been in the Humble Bundle in the past, and probably will be again in the future (as bonuses if you pay above the average). Most of the Linux games I've paid money for have been through Humble Bundle. Get on their mailing list so you can find out when there's a Bundle on offer. Thanks for this thread, I have yet to play most of my Humble Bundle games, and will be giving some of the ones mention here (like Torchlight and Supersword Brothers) a run soon.
    Last edited by TazX; March 23rd, 2013 at 02:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+1 for Machinarium. It's a great puzzle game. I bought it off of Steam a while ago, and I'm still confused about it not being available on Steam for Linux when a Linux version is already on Desura... but the OP said he wanted free games. My advice is just download and install Desura as others have mentioned. Some of the games are paid but most are free from what I remember.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Yes, if you like Machinarium, Botanicula and Spirits are just as good, IMHO.

Desura has lots of Linux games, many of them free, and is currently the only distributor for quite a few games, including Dominions 3(shameless plug #9832954). Steam is also doing Linux gamers a real favor, with the non-Bundle games that they're finally selling (Book of Unwritten Tales, Unity of Command, Crusader Kings 2, Defender's Quest, iBomber Defense, Waveform, and others).

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

A Free game that should be mentioned (IMHO), is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
    http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/
    I've wasted hours and hours on this game, so many combinations and stuff. My favorite Rogue game.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast