Thread: How to find and launch programs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

How to find and launch programs

After being away a while from Ubuntu I installed 12.10 on a laptop. Now, how can I see what programs are on my machine and launch them? I'm interested in finding the Ubuntu equivalent of the Start>All programs in Windows or the Applications window or Dock in Mac OSX. Otherwise I don't know what tools are available and then how to launch them. Thanks.
    Dell Mini 10V 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, Ubuntu 12.10. MacBook Pro 8.0MB RAM, 500GB HD, MacOS 10.8.2, Dell Inspiron 11z Windows 7 HP

Beans

Re: How to find and launch programs

Click the start button, then click the icon at the bottom of the menu that looks like a crayon, ruller, ect..., then hover over installed and click it. That will show you all installed software.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Check out this too -

http://unity.ubuntu.com/
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    Click the start button, then click the icon at the bottom of the menu that looks like a crayon, ruller, ect..., then hover over installed and click it. That will show you all installed software.
    Thank you! That is easy but not obvious. Along the way I found that right clicking on the Dash Home icon on the left column gave a menu that included Applications. Clicking on it reveled all my installed applications and it also pointed to the icon you mentioned.
    Dell Mini 10V 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, Ubuntu 12.10. MacBook Pro 8.0MB RAM, 500GB HD, MacOS 10.8.2, Dell Inspiron 11z Windows 7 HP