Thread: A few beginner questions

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

A few beginner questions

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask, since my question involves virtualization, but I'm talking about the Server edition anyway.

I am planning to get a dedicated server at the certain hosting company, and I am planning to run Ubuntu Server (most probably 12.04 version) on it. However, I would like to put one virtual machine (since the server will have 12 GB of RAM) for a mail server (probably Zimbra or Debian running Postfix + Dovecot, haven't decided yet). Now, I know nothing about virtualization on Linux, so I wanted to ask which virtualization route is best for me?

Also, I want to know whether I will need 2 IPv4 addresses or just one, since I'm going to have Ubuntu Server and a virtual machine inside it? Is there a way for a virtual machine to be accessible from the same IP as the dedicated OS? I need a VM only for Zimbra, everything else (nginx, MySQL, etc.) will run on a dedicated OS.

Can someone point me to some tutorials or web sites where I can get more info on this particular situation? I have modest experience with Linux administration, but only on a VPS, this is the first time that I'm getting a dedicated server, so I suppose that some things are different, especially when it comes to virtualization.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: A few beginner questions

I've been playing with running a virtual server on top of the sever install, and virtual box worked quite well for me. I used the virtual appliances from Turnkey Linux in my experimentation.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

You don't always need visualization to run Linux (even if it's a different distro) upon Linux. In some cases chroot is enough.

Beans

Here is a manual for ubuntu https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/server...alization.html
    But i think, you should first read about so called "bare metal" hypervisors, like Xen or ESXi. And choose your OS only after you decide what hypervisor suits best your needs
    Last edited by cheshire mouse; March 10th, 2013 at 11:38 AM.

Beans

My initial thought is that it might be better for you to get two low-end virtual private servers, rather than one high-end one which would in turn run a virtual server. Having two low-end VPS would probably be less expensive and would make configuring the network easier.

Beans

You need to take a look at ProxMox VE. It's a hypervisor OS based on Debian, KVM, and OpenVZ that lets you do both traditional VM's and container-based Linux VM's. It runs a web interface that looks almost exactly like the old VMWare client (we use an old version of ESX at work, looks just like VIC).

I've been playing with it on a server at work, it's pretty slick. There was a recent Linux Action Show where they talked about ProxMox and interviewed some sysadmins who are using it to run all their company's VM's.

It's got a rough edge here and there, but overall it's pretty impressive considering it's free (you can buy support from the company if you want it).

EDIT: Ok, after re-reading your post proxmox may not be the right thing for you. But I think you might want to look into OpenVZ and just use containers rather than a VM.