Wifi problems: Asus x401a, ra5390, rt2800pci
I need help with my wireless connection after my new install of Mint 14 64bit.
Here's my set up:
Mint 14-64 updated
positioned < 8 ft from router
1. sees my router and neighbors
2. sees my router after startup at 72%, hp next to it shows 98%
3. tries to autoconnect, fails, asks for password, fails, etc. - may repeat endlessly
4. occasionally connects - loads slowly, shows 65% power, then 42%, then 25%, begins to ask for password again, endless repeat
5. hp laptop next to Asus is stable & downloading quickly on same router
6. wired connection is stable
7. no other problems with the install so far
What I've tried:
1. double checked password
2. rebooted router
3. tried 32bit live cd Mint 14
4. tried suggestions from "Ralink 5390 / Compaq persario..." in Networking & Wireless forum to download & install rt2860 driver, that gave better power readings but goes into kernel panic under load - clean re-install afterwards
5. tried OpenSuse 64 which gave higher power readings and more stability, but cuts out at more than 12 ft from router
Using commands from other threads my output is:
bill@Liveoak ~ $ lspci -nn | grep 0280
02:00.0 Network controller : Ralink corp. RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe [1814:5390]
bill@Liveoak ~ $ lsmod | grep rt2
rt2800pci 18528 0
rt2800lib 58685 1 rt2800pci
crc_ccitt 12667 1 rt2800lib
rt2x00pci 14475 1 rt2800pci
rt2x00lib 54891 3 rt2800pci,rt2800lib,rt2x00pci
mac80211 539908 3 rt2800lib,rt2x00pci,rt2x00lib
cfg80211 206566 2 rt2x00lib,mac80211
eeprom_93cx6 13302 1 rt2800pci
I'm a regular Linux user, but don't know how to work under the hood. It's more 'monkey see, monkey do'.
Thanks for your help.
Last edited by BeardedOne; March 9th, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Reason: mark it solved
If this was only a movie, I could re-write the ending.