Thread: Downgrade Xserver 1.13 to 1.12 in order to install nvidia drivers properly

Beans

Downgrade Xserver 1.13 to 1.12 in order to install nvidia drivers properly

Hello, this is my first thread and I wanted to share with you my own experience with the frustrating experience about installing NVIDIA drivers in kubuntu. Sorry first of all, my awful english .
    My computer is an intel 2.4 ghz with 1 Gb RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 4 mx 440 AGP 8x all on a Gigabyte 8S648FX motherboard.
    1. Its not possible for this NVIDIA Geforce to be installed in Kubuntu 12.10 because NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.23.43-pkg1.run must be installed in Xserver 1.12 or less and Kubuntu 12.10 has Xserver 1.13 This is the reason that NVIDIA give us:

Why does NVIDIA not provide RPMs anymore? A. Not every Linux distribution uses RPM, and NVIDIA wanted a single solution that would work across all Linux distributions. As indicated in the NVIDIA Software License, Linux distributions are welcome to repackage and redistribute the NVIDIA Linux driver in whatever package format they wish.

So I though I should wait (better sat) Nvidia updates to new drivers for Xorg 1.13 but I found asking Mr. google how could I downgrade to a Xorg version 1.12 that allow me to run my drivers properly and this was what I found:
    Info source: ubuntu.info/tag/xorg
    'How to install drivers...' There you can see how to downgrade Xorg 1.13 to Xorg 1.12 in this way:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/fglrx
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy

And then I could install al least my Nvidia drivers in Kubuntu 12.10 with Xorg 1.12
    ctrl+f1
    sudo stop lightdm
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.23-pkg1.run
    etc
    I think is too complicated to configure your graphic card in ubuntu and that's probably one of a hundred reasons to make people not to instal
    l Linux which shown me that is much better than microsoft windows.
    So It's a pity if Hardware Companies don't support Linux, I will continue working and learning Linux on my virtual machine Vmware.

Beans

Re: Downgrade Xserver 1.13 to 1.12 in order to install nvidia drivers properly

Hi, thanks a lot for the suggestion, it worked smoothly for me also under Lubuntu 12.10.
    Just a note: my system was running NOUVEAU, so when I run the NVIDIA installer script, it installed a modprobe conf preventing the nouveau from being run upon startup. I had to reboot the system to re-run the installing script. Then sudo stop lightdm does not work anymore, and the correct synthaxis is
    sudo service lightdm stop
    then you can run the installer again with
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.23-pkg1.run
    Thanks again!