Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have a better solution then jockey to install ati or nvidia driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Does anyone have a better solution then jockey to install ati or nvidia driver?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Does anyone have a better solution then jockey to install ati or nvidia driver?

No. Jockey is the best there is.

Beans

Re: Does anyone have a better solution then jockey to install ati or nvidia driver?

I know with nvidia, you can install it from terminal with "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current"

Beans

As mentioned in your other thread jockey is no longer used, you'll find it's replacement in software sources > Drivers tab.

Or you can use sudo apt-get to install or synaptic
    (for apt-get you can run this command to list available packages
    Code:
    ubuntu-drivers list
    In 12.10 it's quite likely that linux-headers-generic was not included in your install & the absence of the linux-headers-3.X.X-XX-generic package will prevent the kernel module from being built.

So before installing in any of the various ways -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    bug still open in 12.10, fixed in 13.04 & 12.04.x
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1068488

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ok I belive I understood now but still if I install jockey and etc it should have an icon somewhere so that I could use it any time I want and not have to reinstall it everytime.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by aviramof View Post
    Ok I belive I understood now but still if I install jockey and etc it should have an icon somewhere so that I could use it any time I want and not have to reinstall it everytime.
    No. Jockey is now part of the Software Sources program. Go into Ubuntu Software Center, go to the Edit menu and choose Software Sources. The last tab of the window that opens, allows you to install drivers just like Jockey.

There is no icon for it, because it's merely part of another program. You don't have to "reinstall it" at all, it's already a part of the system.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

With some trepidation I'll relay this to you -

If you wanted an icon (launcher/.desktop) for "Additional Drivers" then you can easily create one, where & how accessed is your choice, I'll give you 3 examples of where to place. The contents are the same wherever you decide to place (if you do

In local applications folder, accessed thru Dash, search add...
    Code:
    mkdir -p ~/.local/share/applications && gedit ~/.local/share/applications/additional-drivers.desktop
    Use code at bottom of post, save

In /usr/share/applications
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/share/applications/additional-drivers.desktop
    Use code at bottom, save
    (may need a log out/in before either of the above show in Dash

On the Desktop
    Code:
    gedit ~/Desktop/additional-drivers.desktop
    Use below code, save. Then run below command to make executable
    Code:
    chmod u+x ~/Desktop/additional-drivers.desktop
    Contents of additional-drivers.desktop

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Additional Drivers
    Comment=Open Additional tab for hardware drivers available for the system
    Icon=jockey
    Exec=software-properties-gtk --open-tab=4
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=System;Settings;GTK;HardwareSettings;
    NotShowIn=KDE;
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=jockey
    NoDisplay=false
    StartupNotify=true

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, mc4man,

I second your trepidation!

I have 'Additional Drivers' as a launcher, created by running AD from the Dash and 'locking to launcher' - a lot easier than your method.

The problem is that the result of running it is different from that displayed in Software Sources>Additional drivers'.

The later correctly shows nvidia-current-updates as installed, activated, and in use. It also shows the Nouveau driver as well as four nvidia drivers.

The former incorrectly states 'No Proprietary drivers are in use in this system', does not show the Nouveau driver, and shows the nvidia-current-updates as: 'activated but not currently in use'. Also it does not list the drivers as 'proprietary' as the later does.

I presume this is because the jockey-kde version installed by apt-get is different from the one installed as default with the kernal.

Whether this also applies to your method I do not know.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, mc4man,

I second your trepidation!

I have 'Additional Drivers' as a launcher, created by running AD from the Dash and 'locking to launcher' - a lot easier than your method.

The problem is that the result of running it is different from that displayed in Software Sources>Additional drivers'.

The later correctly shows nvidia-current-updates as installed, activated, and in use. It also shows the Nouveau driver as well as four nvidia drivers.

The former incorrectly states 'No Proprietary drivers are in use in this system', does not show the Nouveau driver, and shows the nvidia-current-updates as: 'activated but not currently in use'. Also it does not list the drivers as 'proprietary' as the later does.

I presume this is because the jockey-kde version installed by apt-get is different from the one installed as default with the kernal.

Whether this also applies to your method I do not know.

Chao!, bogan.
    By default in an Ubuntu install there is no "Additional Drivers" available from the Dash as there is no .desktop installed
    What happens if one install jockey* I don't know as it shouldn't be installed.

So what I described above should work just fine in 12.10+ - see screen

One small advantage of a Add. drivers specific .desktop is that when opened 'software and updates' will show immediately, the user can then wait till it loads
    (typically 7 -30 secs

As is now in from the Dash or Ubuntu Software Center when opening software-properties-gtk (Software and Updates here on 13.04), nothing seems to happen till it loads
    (a current bug with no apparent resolution
    From synaptic the user knows something is happening because it gives a spinning cursor till loaded

(the trep was based on knowing the Op to some extent
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, mc4man,

I presume you must have several additional PPA's activated to get that many different nvidia drivers, yet not to even include nvidia-current or nvidia-current-updates.

Although I am using the Proposed PPA in 12.10, 3.5.0.26-generic#40, I only get those two, the two experimental 304 & 310 drivers and nouveau, in the system Settings>Software Sources>Additional Drivers display.

Even Synaptic only shows, in addition the 173 and -dev drivers.

Additional Drivers was in Dash from the original 12.10 updated from 12.04.1, but not in a clean install.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast