Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu To Investigate Digital Rights Management

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Angry Ubuntu To Investigate Digital Rights Management

Have look at the latest Phoronix article: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMxOTc

Sounds scary to me. I switched to ubuntu not becuase it's free in terms of $$ but free of any type bloatware introduced by MS/OSX and I don't want to by spied by my own distribution. If I decide to install propietary software I want it to be my decision. When I see "Ubuntu is DRM ready" I will dump it without hassles.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu To Investigate Digital Rights Management

Could you please explain what is scaring you? Do you intend to play digital content that is encrypted with Digital Rights Management keys on your Ubuntu mobile device? No? Then what is your problem? Canonical is not aiming to sell you a Ubuntu mobile device. There are not enough Free and Open Source Software believers in the world to make a decent living from. Its target are those millions of people that use mobile devices as media players and who just want the stuff that they are buying to run on their device. These people are not bothered about Open Source. They want something that looks good, works well and lets them play whatever they download.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

What makes you to think that Canonical will stop on mobile devices only? I can agree that if you wish to be competitive on a mobile segment you have to be agressive as other players and forget about sublime ideas. I know mobile users won't care but what about desktop users?

Beans

DRM in Ubuntu?

Yeah now is the time for the moaning and bitching about Canonical to become valid.
    Screw DRM, thanksa Canonical for coming to the aid of yet another broken technology, first there is secure boot/UEFI and now this.
    I wasnt in favor of Stallman calling you out on Amazon as its something one can bypass but this?

Beans

Hery everyone, guess what? GET OVER IT!!! Ubuntu isn't a community driven project anymore. It's an OS from a large company looking to make an impact in the computing market. As far as I am concerned, Ubuntu really isn't Linux anymore. It's based on Linux, but is vastly different in ideology and methology. I will not be suprized if by 14.04 Ubuntu will no longer be Linux compatible at the Kernel Binary level, in turn making it a new OS. Ubuntu has a modified Kernel, new display manager, getting DRM support, custom Debian-based packages, and better internet intergration. Ubuntu will be the next Apple. Just like how OS X is based in BSD, but is completely incompatibe with BSD packages. So, you can ride the wagon to the new frontier, a new OS begining, or you can jump off and stick with the community driven Linux Distros which most likely will loose support from companies like Nvidia and Valve as Ubuntu makes it big as the new OS for the masses.

Personally, I'm OK with that.
    Last edited by ManamiVixen; March 6th, 2013 at 09:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You got the point but in such case what would be a benefit of using Ubuntu over OSX or even MS ???

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    Hery everyone, guess what? GET OVER IT!!! Ubuntu isn't a community driven project anymore. It's an OS from a large company looking to make an impact in the computing market. As far as I am concerned, Ubuntu really isn't Linux anymore. It's based on Linux, but is vastly different in ideology and methology. I will not be suprized if by 14.04 Ubuntu will no longer be Linux compatible at the Kernel Binary level, in turn making it a new OS. Ubuntu has a modified Kernel, new display manager, getting DRM support, custom Debian-based packages, and better internet intergration. Ubuntu will be the next Apple. Just like how OS X is based in BSD, but is completely incompatibe with BSD packages. So, you can ride the wagon to the new frontier, a new OS begining, or you can jump off and stick with the community driven Linux Distros which most likely will loose support from companies like Nvidia and Valve as Ubuntu makes it big as the new OS for the masses.

Personally, I'm OK with that.
    Oh sure lets loose viable competition because Canonical wants to be like Apple.
    Meh.

Beans

You don't have to use Ubuntu if you don't want to I'm using Debian for instance.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    ...Ubuntu isn't a community driven project anymore. It's an OS from a large company looking to make an impact in the computing market. As far as I am concerned, Ubuntu really isn't Linux anymore. It's based on Linux, but is vastly different in ideology and methology. I will not be suprized if by 14.04 Ubuntu will no longer be Linux compatible at the Kernel Binary level, in turn making it a new OS. Ubuntu has a modified Kernel, new display manager, getting DRM support, custom Debian-based packages, and better internet intergration. Ubuntu will be the next Apple. Just like how OS X is based in BSD, but is completely incompatibe with BSD packages...
    Assuming your critique is correct, what will become of Xubuntu?

Beans

@ aspergerian

Not sure exactly. Most likely will be axed by 14.04. Have to wait till the next LTS to see exactly. But there has to be a reason why 12.04 is 5 years in support aganst the usual 2-3 years

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast