Thread: Firefox doesn't rec. Flashplayer ~ Screwy Situation

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Firefox doesn't rec. Flashplayer ~ Screwy Situation

So... I have two Firefox installations - two profiles. It's always worked beautifully on every other system (so I can use different Google/Gmail profiles at the same time).
    For some reason, which I cannot wrap my head around, the second firefox install on this system (64bit Xubuntu 12.04) refuses to acknowledge the flashplayer installation that works just fine with my default profile and Firefox installation. Any ideas? How do I get the second install (of Firefox) to recognize libflashplayer.so!?! I see it right there:

/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
    Can I create a symbolic link somewhere or where I can I copy libflashplayer so the second install will recognize and use it? (I've tried Flash Aid - no luck.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Firefox doesn't rec. Flashplayer ~ Screwy Situation

Okay. Solved. If I could throw every four letter word in my vocabulary at these jerks... Firefox, the whole bunch of them, really ticked me off.

Here's the deal. I guess Firefox is quietly trying to kill their 64 bit version of Linux (or that's the rumor). But the ----'s don't tell you this. They just let you download the 32-bit version and give you no indication, none, none whatsoever, that you're doing so. This means that a second install, like mine, isn't going to work with any plugins. They don't even tell you this on the ABOUT page. I had to carefully read the automatically generated pluginreg.dat to see that I wasn't using the 64 bit version. I wasted an entire afternoon on this. I had to go to their FTP site to download the 64 bit version. Anyway... if this happens to anyone else in the future, make sure you're using the 64 bit version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Moderators: Please mark this thread solved. I don't know how to since ya'll changed this forum around.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You should have installed firefox with synaptic or software-centre then you would have got the correct architecture version.

Why did you download direct from mozilla? I assume that is what you must have done to get into this situation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You should have installed firefox with synaptic or software-centre then you would have got the correct architecture version.

Why did you download direct from mozilla? I assume that is what you must have done to get into this situation.
    Because this was a second install. I have two separate Firefox installations that I run simultaneously (and independently under different profiles). This can be incredibly handy for a variety of reasons. For me, it allows me to keep separate g-mail accounts open at the same time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I manage this challenge by having Firefox and Chrome installed, and having them both open most of the time. Much simpler solution.

At the top of the messages, look at "Thread Tools." I think you will find "solved" there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    At the top of the messages, look at "Thread Tools." I think you will find "solved" there.
    To mark threads solved in the upgraded forum, see this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post12536730