Thread: Compatible printers

Beans

Question Compatible printers

Hi All, I'm brand new! Having just thrown my HP printer at the wall I am looking at a Canon PIXMA MG5350, can any one tell me if this is 'out of the box' compatable please?. Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Compatible printers

I think your mentioned Canon PIXMA MG5350 has great support for Linux. My suggestion is first connect the printer with your PC, if it works well automatically, that'll be great. If you face any problem then visit the following link, download and install the specific driver.

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consu...ownload&page=1

Hope your experience with Ubuntu will be great.
    Last edited by uzumakifahim; March 8th, 2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: mistake

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Which HP printer were you having problems with?

In my experience HP printers have the best Linux support, the last few I've had just worked as soon as I plugged them in.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Which HP printer were you having problems with?

In my experience HP printers have the best Linux support, the last few I've had just worked as soon as I plugged them in.

+1

HP would always be my first choice for printers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Thanks uzumakifahim but you missed the link out! Thanks too ibjsb4 I found that link very useful. To all you guys recomending HP I will mention that I have been an HP user for many years and the one I am binning must be about my fifth HP machine but, having duplex printed 256 pages x 6 then found that the printer had, on several occasions, entered a line at the bottom of a page then repeated the same line at the top of the next page, I have had more than enough! Oh, I should also mention misfeeding two sheets of paper instead of one, all paper very carefully knocked up, and when you are printing duplex that is disastrous. I have three units all working very happily on Ubuntu but now I need a printer that will work just as well. When I say I am brand new I meant brand new to the Ubuntu forum not to computing. Anyway thanks for all your comments. Oh by the way the printer is the 6940 fitted with extra sheet feeder and duplex facility and like all HP machines it works (worked) fine with Ubuntu..

Beans

Thanks uzumakifahim but you missed the link out! Thanks too ibjsb4 I found that link very useful. To all you guys recomending HP I will mention that I have been an HP user for many years and the one I am binning must be about my fifth HP machine but, having duplex printed 256 pages x 6 then found that the printer had, on several occasions, entered a line at the bottom of a page then repeated the same line at the top of the next page, I have had more than enough! Oh, I should also mention misfeeding two sheets of paper instead of one, all paper very carefully knocked up, and when you are printing duplex that is disastrous. I have three units all working very happily on Ubuntu but now I need a printer that will work just as well. When I say I am brand new I meant brand new to the Ubuntu forum not to computing. Anyway thanks for all your comments. Oh by the way the printer is the 6940 fitted with extra sheet feeder and duplex facility and like all HP machines it works (worked) fine with Ubuntu..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@BlueArgyll, Please check the post again. Sorry, for the mistake. I've corrected that mistake now. On that link contains your printers driver with .deb extension. so, I think that'll be very useful for you.

Beans

The older HP printers work extremely well in Ubuntu. The newer ones, however, seem to have some serious quality issues and compatibility is limited in some cases, especially the all-in-one models.

So if possible, I would try to get an older HP LaserJet model, the older the better, provided that it has at least USB support. Would definitely not recommend anything without a USB port, as parallel ports can be quite slow, and newer desktops and notebooks don't even have a parallel interface.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

+1 to HP. Best Linux support out there.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.