Thread: Trying to get some spam

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Trying to get some spam

Just had an email account lying around, and I will use it to see how much spam I can receive.

The email address is: atomic84@live.com

Please do not reply to/remove to thread. This has been posted in order to receive (and analyse) spam (along with its freebies like pdfka/pdfjsc attachments, .doc.exe files etc, exploit kit URLs and the like). Will also analyse those malware, have been reading various malware analysis blogs and will try to analyse some of the samples for myself, as I have quite a lot of free time now.

Also, can anyone tell me of more ways to receive some spam? (When I mean spam, I refer to those fake itenaries/bills/pharma/pr0n and the like).
    Last edited by flurospar; March 8th, 2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Better formatting (had disabled JS in browser)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Trying to get some spam

Quote Originally Posted by flurospar View Post
    Also, can anyone tell me of more ways to receive some spam?
    Register yourself a domain, rent a package on a hosted server if you don't already have one, set up a forum or a Wordpress blog, and allow unrestricted registration but don't configure it with any human verification checks, nor any other anti-spam measures. You won't see just "some" spam. You'll see lots and lots and lots and lots of it!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Register yourself a domain, rent a package on a hosted server if you don't already have one, set up a forum or a Wordpress blog, and allow unrestricted registration but don't configure it with any human verification checks, nor any other anti-spam measures. You won't see just "some" spam. You'll see lots and lots and lots and lots of it!
    +1! Lol... Usually you work hard to avoid spam, but it shouldn't be that hard to get spam. (Although forum spam is a lot different to the kind of malicious spam that you can through your email).

A year ago I cleaned up a forum that had been run down by spam. 25k+ fake spam accounts had to be removed. Most of them just signed up, and put a link to their website in their profile and then left, but we also had people who were active spammers as well... It was mostly "adult spam" as far as I could tell... Luckily cleaning up spam is a breeze with phpBB3, our old forum ran on phpBB2 (ouch).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm actually looking for email spam, 'cause its more interesting (contains malicious files, links to exploits, phishes and the like). Forum spam is just too boring, and doesn't bring about the freebies I was talking about

Beans

If you publish your address on sites as you did here, you'll start getting spam soon thereafter.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

register on a dating site
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So instead of a honeypot, I guess this would be considered flypaper?

Can I forward some of the more interesting spam that I have received to your address? Or would you prefer the more automated, self-generated spam?

spam, spam, spam, spam, spam . . .
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!

+1. One forum I currently run has attracted more spammers than people who are genuinely interested. The anti-spam plugins I have on it have revealed a broken spambot that basically puts the same nonsense that shows it to be a spambot in the "reason for joining" field on the registration page.
    Quote Originally Posted by flurospar View Post
    I'm actually looking for email spam, 'cause its more interesting (contains malicious files, links to exploits, phishes and the like). Forum spam is just too boring, and doesn't bring about the freebies I was talking about
    If you have a web page anywhere with an email address on it, sooner or latter it will attract spam. Once the search engines find it, you might notice an increase.

One of my current interests is to automatically report email spam to email providers, a challenge in itself given, amongst other things, that some providers have a broken "abuse [at] domain" email address.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sounds like someone read the XKCD System76 posted and decided to do it themselves....

For anyone interested it's this one: http://xkcd.com/350/
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379