Thread: Various Issues With Pretty Much Anything Multimedia Related

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Various Issues With Pretty Much Anything Multimedia Related

Love Ubuntu, And, I Hate Ubuntu..... Not bashing just saying. Anyways on to the issues.

First off even though banshee sort of works for syncing my 5.5 gen ipod it always fills it up until i have to delete the files and restore it on a windows box= fail - Rhythmbox does the same thing, and i never liked it anyways (I know there are other music players but i like Banshee out of all of them for media management on my computer anyways and Listening to music of course lol I prefer it over iTunes....

mp3gain sucks on ubuntu, I always get some kind of fault or error that ruins my mp3's=fail - luckily i keep triple redundant back ups.....

No comic reader like ComicRack=fail - Comix works but it doesnt work well with hundreds of comics, Its library function sucks and some of them are in pdf and Comix won't even acknowledge their existance.....

easytag seems to work but the tagged and album art embedded files dont really seem to be changed in any way that can be seen outside of ubuntu and at times it somehow corrupts my mp3's=fail - Not only does itunes edit my mp3's and embed my database of album art (without corruption) it does it to the actual file (and every file I edit with it) that can be checked by various other media players and editors (including those in ubuntu!) to ensure that the changes I've made actually happen. In ubuntu when album art is embeded to the mp3 some files have a thumbnails others in the same album don't when viewed through nautilus=fail..........

Rockbox is useless, Every time i use it I cringe, it looks like crap makes my iPod not function properly and it cant even play my already huge library of properly encoded music videos and tv shows=fail, and since i cant tranfer videos at all with any software available on ubuntu with the iPod's original firmware it makes my 300 dollar 80 gig iPod video useless.......(I'm Fond of my ipod, ive dropped it, replaced parts when they have broken or failed and its been my companion since it was brand new so dont even think about asking me to sell the only mp3 player thats lasted this long just because its an apple product)

Booting into windows to do the stuff i do everyday=fail - I should be able to use ubuntu as the media hub like i would if i was using windows.....

I could just reinstall windows, But everytime i do i get hacked, I get a damned virus, or somebody at MS decides that I dont know how to use my computer so I'm Done With Windows..... I'll fix it for my friends and family, I'll let people pay me over and over to fix it for them, But I wont use it anymore except for iTunes until I can get the above programs working the way i'd like them to.......

This isnt a rant, I have valid questions about the above programs, Why don't any of them work as advertised, Why do they keep messing up my workflow and mellow time? Do the developers not care that the programs dont work as intended?

With the weird exception of at random times when I suspend my laptop the wifi freaks out for a bit and then comes back, Everything else works pretty darn good And thats why i love ubuntu, I know that the iPod stuff isnt ubuntu's fault or the developers, But in order to get something that supposedly works as good as my ipod i'd have to spend just about as much on something i know wont last as long and I wont be able to replace the parts if it breaks as easily and lets be honest A White 80 gig iPod video with custom black clik wheel is dead sexy and you cant argue with that lol.
    System Specs- Asus U80A 14 inch Notebook-Intel Core 2 Duo 2.10 Gigahertz- 4 Gigs ram- Toshiba 7200 RPM 320 Gig Mechanical Hard Drive- Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans
    Distro

Re: Various Issues With Pretty Much Anything Multimedia Related

Well you can add creating playlists to be synced to the ipod as a fail too...... I just tried rock box again just to see if it changed, it looks better but it doesnt work very good at all, first i unplug my headphones and my ipod started making this horrible screaching noise? wtf is that about? secondly plugging my ipod into a windows box to restore it didnt work, like at all, had to friggin gksudo it and uninstall rockbox through ubuntu to fix that crap....

Why does it take me deleting my files off my ipod then un safely removing it before banshee and ubuntu realise i've deleted the dang files? Why does it take an hour to sync 2000 songs? iTunes does it in less than 20 minutes?

Seriously up your ******* game ubuntu..........
    System Specs- Asus U80A 14 inch Notebook-Intel Core 2 Duo 2.10 Gigahertz- 4 Gigs ram- Toshiba 7200 RPM 320 Gig Mechanical Hard Drive- Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans
    Distro

Re: Various Issues With Pretty Much Anything Multimedia Related

I guess i need to explain why im upset about this. when using my ipod with windows or mac, it just friggin works. when i press play on my ipod it plays. when i sync my playlists they sync. when i sync videos (properly encoded of course) they just friggin sync..... stop saying that banshee can do something it cant, stop saying that ubuntu can do something it cant, just stop outright lying about its friggin capabilities..........