Thread: Deja Dup resolves host name incorrectly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Deja Dup resolves host name incorrectly

PROBLEM:
    I backup to an SSH server via Deja Dup. Recently I am recieving warnings that: my backups are for a computer called 'my_actual_hostname' but the current computer is 'my_hostname.hawaii.rr.com'.

My questions are:
    How is Deja Dup resolving my hostname? I have my hostname in /etc/hostname. Python resolves the correct hostname with socket.getfqdn().

Where should I look to troubleshoot? I have already reset my router to factory default.

What could cause Deja Dup, or duplicity, to tack on my ISPs name to my computer name?
    Last edited by shakabra; March 7th, 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Deja Dup resolves host name incorrectly

Quote Originally Posted by shakabra View Post
    PROBLEM:
    I backup to an SSH server via Deja Dup. Recently I am recieving warnings that: my backups are for a computer called 'my_actual_hostname' but the current computer is 'my_hostname.hawaii.rr.com'.

My questions are:
    How is Deja Dup resolving my hostname? I have my hostname in /etc/hostname. Python resolves the correct hostname with socket.getfqdn().

Where should I look to troubleshoot? I have already reset my router to factory default.

What could cause Deja Dup, or duplicity, to tack on my ISPs name to my computer name?
    Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Deja Dup resolves host name incorrectly

David, I was just about to reply with a snarky post about how reading out a file would not help. But then it dawned on me. When I installed this system I initially had a weird username so I changed it in /etc/hostname. I forgot to change it in /etc/hosts.

Aloha