Thread: Interesting things to teach a class/have them do.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Interesting things to teach a class/have them do.

I am in independent study and I am doing stuff about Linux. My teacher wants me to find some things for his class to do that were fun, and would help them understand Linux better. Right now all I got is to show them Compiz because Wobbly Windows is cool.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Interesting things to teach a class/have them do.

Have someone bring in an old laptop and install Ubuntu on it. Have a working network cable available. Have another working laptop with network connection so you can search forums for answers when things don't work as they should. Have the class observe the steps that are involved in installing a new operating system including:

Hardware inventory: CPU type, 32-bit or 64-bit?, RAM amount, hard disk size, etc
    Software inventory: What's on the machine? Hidden partitions?
    Partition/Shrink the Windows partition so there is room to install Linux.
    Install Ubuntu with either DVD or USB stick--explain the process of creating a DVD or USB.
    Boot Ubuntu and note any errors or issues that come up. Start searching for answers.
    Once in the Live Session, explore a little, show the class how the Live system works and what is available.
    Hit the install button and go for it. Allow at least 20 minutes for this step. This is a good time for Linux Q&A. Use the working laptop to search for answers using Ubuntu documentation.
    Once the installation is done, make a list of things that need fixing.
    Class dismissed!
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Show them how easy you can hack their computer with a LiveCD (That'll teach them that a login password is as much use as a chocolate fireguard)
    Or on the other hand you might teach them how Linux can scan their computer for Virus'
    Never mind Wobbly Windows, teach the suckers how to install Linux, Partition their HD
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not a support request - moved to community cafe
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Teach them to install the OS, maybe play around with the LiveCD, and then you could have them write a cool bash script or maybe even make a KDE Plasma Widget...