Thread: serial to USB loss of comms

Beans

serial to USB loss of comms

Hi,

• Problem: No serial data is seen on PC from a serial device connected by serial-to-USB adapter on ttyUSB0

• Ubuntu 12.10 Desktop (configuration worked for months on 12.04, failed after a power cut. I've since upgraded to 12.10 but issue did not resolve as part of the upgrade)
    • Serial to USB converter (Prolific U-232 & MCT-232 also tried). HW tested with other machines/OS and working OK
    • Several different serial devices tried. HW tested with other machines/OS and working OK
    • Drivers appear correctly installed; any application tried e.g. minicom or gtkterm all "see" ttyUSB0 and connect to it. Physically removing and reconnecting the serial to USB connector makes ttyUSB0 appear & disappear.
    • No unusual messages in dmesg

My working hypothesis is somehow something in software that connects ttyUSB0 to the actual lower level HW has become corrupted or disconnected. Unfortunately my knowledge of Ubuntu doesn't stretch that far - pointers on where to look or what to do very much appreciated.

There has been a suggestion to "un-install & re-install" the drivers. I'd appreciate specifics on how to do that for the serial to USB drivers; those installed came with the Ubuntu OS and I don't want to screw with system files without specific guidance.

Thanks
    Cormac

Beans

Re: serial to USB loss of comms

This issue remains open (unsolved) - any insights appreciated.

Thanks
    Cormac

Beans

Re: serial to USB loss of comms

Resolved. chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB0 is your friend... In the course of the upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 something went awry with permissions... Is it a bit odd no errors were being thrown?