Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan constantly running

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Fan constantly running

I have a Gazelle Pro running 12.10. I have been noticing that the cooling fan runs all the time. Even when the CPU has been idle for hours. Does anyone know if this is a problem? Could there be some config parameter that has gotten messed up that is causing the fan to run continuously? It seems that this will burn out my fan sooner.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Fan constantly running

I would redirect you to this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1907622

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by b3d View Post
    I have a Gazelle Pro running 12.10. I have been noticing that the cooling fan runs all the time. Even when the CPU has been idle for hours. Does anyone know if this is a problem? Could there be some config parameter that has gotten messed up that is causing the fan to run continuously? It seems that this will burn out my fan sooner.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    I would redirect you to this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1907622
    Acutally, the Gazlle doesn't use any proprietary graphics, so there are no other drivers required.

It's normal for the fan to spin all the time in any computer. This helps prevent dust from settling in the cooling system and keeps it running efficiently.

If the fans are always loud, then that might indicate a problem. See if you can make the fan speed increase by loading the system with a heavy task.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

It does not seem to matter what the load is. It seems to be on full speed all the time. This does have nVidia graphics.
    GeForce GTX 460M/PCIe/SSE2
    Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz × 8
    I will try making sure everything is up to date.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Then without doubt It definitely seems to be the driver which is the culprit..opensource drivers are buggy due to lack of specifications by nvidia..your fan is vulnerable to blow off soon..try using the proprietary driver or install windows and check to see if the same happens...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I believe that I am running the proprietary drivers. I have the nvidia-settings program and it indicates that the vendor is NVIDIA Corporation in the OpenGl/GLX section.

And I am NOT going to install ******* on this System76 machine which has never been sullied by such filth.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    This is about it running at high speed. It is a useful tip, but it's not my issue. When I do this, fn-1, then I do get the high speed fan. I'm just wondering why my fan runs all the time, even when it's fairly cool. Perhaps it's just that the fan has always run all the time, but was quiet before?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

See this site:It is a known problem for AMD and Nvidia:
    http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.htm l

! No high quality open source Intel, NVIDIAand AMDdrivers:
    · ! Open Source AMDand NVIDIA drivers do not properly and fully support power management featuresand fan speed management.
    So you can try this to control fan speed:

http://tuxtweaks.com/2008/08/how-to-control-fan-speeds-in-ubuntu/

http://www.emreciftci.net/2011/07/ub...mperature.html

Hope this helps!! Good luck!!
    Last edited by krishna.988; March 13th, 2013 at 12:01 PM.

Beans

The Gazelle Pro has poor air flow circulation under the laptop. Try elevating it and see if the fan stops running at high speed. In my case, I set my laptop on a couple of books (leaving the vents unobstructed) and that confirmed my suspicion of what my problem was.

I ordered one of these, and that did the trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast