Thread: How can I install another operating system in my computer in parellel with Ubuntu

Beans

How can I install another operating system in my computer in parellel with Ubuntu

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 in my desktop, which has an Asus P5LD2 Main Board. I wish to install Windows XP Professional alongside the Ubuntu OS. Please tell me how I can do this or direct me to a place where I can find the instructions to do this.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Melita; March 31st, 2013 at 07:00 PM.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: How can I install another operating system in my computer in parellel with Ubuntu

You say in parellel. Do you wish to be able to acccess both of them at the same time? If so, take a look at virtualbox.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

If you puter is dual core and has at least 2 gigs of ram. If not, go with dual boot, but you can only run one at a time.

Post #8

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2122313
    Last edited by ibjsb4; March 6th, 2013 at 05:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How can I install another operating system in my computer in parellel with Ubuntu

Have you looked on the Ubuntu website?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
    Cheesemill

Beans

Thank you both for the replies.

I will be running only one OS at a time. I went to the Ubuntu help website. It appears to me that the best way to do this is, to un-install Ubuntu, Install Windows and then re-install Ubuntu. It seems less complicated to do it that way.

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It isn't terribly hard to reinstall grub after installing windows and you won't have to copy everything back -- but copy them to a backup drive nonetheless.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Melita View Post
    Thank you both for the replies.

I will be running only one OS at a time. I went to the Ubuntu help website. It appears to me that the best way to do this is, to un-install Ubuntu, Install Windows and then re-install Ubuntu. It seems less complicated to do it that way.

Regards.
    That is the easier way.

Beans

A big "thank you" to every one for all the help. I should be able to do this now

Regards.

Beans

I am trying to mark this thread as 'answered'. I don't get the link to do this under 'thread tools'. Need help.

Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

See my signature for current workaround.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you. It is done.

Regards.