Great news, per the "old" mailing list:

Today the Technical Board approved our proposal to be recognized as an
    official flavor. We'll provide more details later this week about
    that.

One resource that is available to us now is a new mailing list. I
    think the lists.ubuntu.com is a nicer interface, particularly for
    subscribing and viewing archives. In fact, there's now no special
    reason to be a member of the Launchpad ~ubuntu-gnome group now unless
    you want the extra icon on your Launchpad profile.

This list will now be deactivated so that there's no confusion. I
    apologize for the inconvenience.

You can subscribe to the new list at
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu GNOME accepted as official flavor

Great news! Long live UGR!

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

By posting here I'm breaking my self-imposed exile from these forums which I still read but for several months now have made a point of no longer posting to.

This is great news but in view of the changes around Ubuntu's wish to change to only having an LTS and a rolling release I do wonder how rosy your future really is?

Good luck, I wish your project every success.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Welcome back Paul2WU! (I hope you'll 'stay' a little while, your posts were always informative or humourous).

Well done to UGR too, a big milestone.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    By posting here I'm breaking my self-imposed exile from these forums which I still read but for several months now have made a point of no longer posting to.

This is great news but in view of the changes around Ubuntu's wish to change to only having an LTS and a rolling release I do wonder how rosy your future really is?

Good luck, I wish your project every success.
    So far those changes to the release cycle are only "proposed", no need to panic

I'm still planning on a Beta 1 for March 14th, which would typically mean iso-testing images around the 11th (or earlier). I think everyone just needs to be patient and see how this all turns out .............. I recently read an exchange on the Lubuntu QA mailing list and I can assure you that nothing is etched in stone ATM

Beans
    Distro

Raring is going to be a normal release, on the normal schedule. After that, who knows. I DO know that Raring UGR is fine - I've been running it for several weeks. I'm not really all that worried about the rolling release thing, just so long as iso-build continues to work

Beans

I would 'assume' that now Ubuntu Gnome will have to use packages currently in the Ubuntu repos which, pending any upgrades coming, may feel like a step back for a lot of current UGR + ppa users.

Nautilus-3.7/8 is one of the more obvious, with or without gtk3.7/8, it really should be as it works better than 3.6
    (a request to merge 3.7.90 is open but as yet acted upon
    gtk+3.7/8 is almost ok, some sources would need fixing
    gstreamer-1.1 is fine but I doubt will be used.
    After that things could still go downhill fairly quickly, will be interesting to see what 13.04 ends on. (I doubt they'll be many or any post-release non-security official bug fixes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am not a developer so I am talking out of the back of my head. Then again, so are most other people on these kind of subjects. Small teams of developers like the UGR team might benefit from not having to keep up with a 6 monthly release cycle as is expected at the moment. They might get some time to have a life of their own. Some people want what they think of as the "latest and greatest" not realising that what is available is the newest experimental version.

I have also noticed that some people are missing the point about this so-called rolling release. It will be a development version. It will be stable to a certain extent but liable to break - as we know full well. The UGR team could use it to test the newest stuff coming from Gnome.org and other Upstreams.

The challenge, as I see it, for those teams developing the Ubuntu flavours will be to integrate all the new code that Ubuntu desktop is going to get as the convergence strategy rolls along. Ubuntu 12.04 will be protected from this but not the development release.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I would 'assume' that now Ubuntu Gnome will have to use packages currently in the Ubuntu repos which, pending any upgrades coming, may feel like a step back for a lot of current UGR + ppa users.
    It's not a step back as we have never included any PPAs with our official images since we were planning all along to apply to be official.

Our name is no longer "Ubuntu GNOME Remix" but simply "Ubuntu GNOME".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    Well said; not to mention about the MIR display server and how that is going to affect us (how well it is going to work with gnome shell, gdm, gtk etc.). We still not yet have an official iso this cycle and ubuntu kind of seem only interested in the mobile space. These are the reasons I believe this news met with the lukewarm reception.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast