Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What PPA's are you using?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What PPA's are you using?

I'm curious as to how many of us use the various PPA's (gnome3, gnome3-staging, ricotz/testing) and what kind of results you're getting.

I am running with the gnome3 PPA, but not -staging or ricotz. Both of those have a lot of stuff in them to update! Anyway, how "safe" is -staging, breakage-wise? I know that ricotz is the most bleeding-edge - how are people faring with that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: What PPA's are you using?

as RR is close to its release date, and for real testing/fixing, here im only using genuine sources, no ppa at all. Thats what testing u+1 means. Guess moderators should kick the other testing (ppas) into a third party subforum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    as RR is close to its release date, and for real testing/fixing, here im only using genuine sources, no ppa at all. Thats what testing u+1 means. Guess moderators should kick the other testing (ppas) into a third party subforum.
    Just tell us when to leave...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have 3 ppas setup

• Nautilus-actions-extras
    • Unity Tweak
    • Handbrake-snapshot

I also have Calbre installed, and update that whenever there is a notification that there is a new version, the author doesn't agree with the way Ubuntu is packaged, so there isn't a ppa.

Beans

Transmission, Ubuntu Tweak, Libreoffice, Clementine and Lightread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If ForumAdmin is allowed to have PPAs then I'm safe:
    Code:
    gnome3-team-gnome3-raring.list
    gnome3-team-gnome3-staging-raring.list
    ricotz-experimental-raring.list
    ricotz-staging-raring.list
    ricotz-testing-raring.list
    Last edited by zika; March 6th, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans

I find it quite amusing people are replying to the qn in the title without reading the actual/first/detailed post.

Anyways, I am using staging (gnome3 not ricotz; a confusing mess, the naming scheme) and it seems quite stable, no serious breakages until now. The only breakages seem to be caused by upgrading while packages are built in the repo. I cannot say that about ricotz/testing repos, which could just leave you a mess (I tried it in QQ for 3.7.90 and it broke the system). Also note that staging is only updated at the point releases.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.JJ View Post
    I find it quite amusing people are replying to the qn in the title without reading the actual/first/detailed post.
    You noticed that too...

Anyways, I am using staging (gnome3 not ricotz; a confusing mess, the naming scheme) and it seems quite stable, no serious breakages until now. The only breakages seem to be caused by upgrading while packages are built in the repo. I cannot say that about ricotz/testing repos, which could just leave you a mess (I tried it in QQ for 3.7.90 and it broke the system). Also note that staging is only updated at the point releases.
    I have staging going now as well, and everything seems to be working just fine. I've had some problems with ricotz/testing in the past, so I'm a bit leery. OTOH, everything is working so well that it's tempting to try... I've got a solid Quantal system that I can always fall back on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You're right. I've edited my previous post accordingly... The only reason I've listed all is because there are numerous occasions that after rigid answer more questions followed. But, nevertheless You're right...
    I assumed that „qn“ meant „question... Was I (at least at that) right...?
    Last edited by zika; March 7th, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    You noticed that too...

I have staging going now as well, and everything seems to be working just fine. I've had some problems with ricotz/testing in the past, so I'm a bit leery. OTOH, everything is working so well that it's tempting to try... I've got a solid Quantal system that I can always fall back on.
    Maybe you should include a Gnome 3 prefix in your question then. You can still edit the title for another 59 days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast