Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better, ubuntu 12.04 LTS or 12.10?

Hybrid View

Beans

Lightbulb Which is better, ubuntu 12.04 LTS or 12.10?

Which one is better ubuntu 12.04 LTS or 12.10? What is the difference with this two?.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Which is better?.

12.04 will be supported for much longer period as compared to 12.10. You can get more differences here:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...10_i5pre&num=1
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/21718...2-04-and-12-10

Extra features in 12.10 over 12.04 are here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetz.../UbuntuDesktop

Also 12.10 don't have Unit2D

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by c2tarun View Post
    12.04 will be supported for much longer period as compared to 12.10. You can get more differences here:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...10_i5pre&num=1
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/21718...2-04-and-12-10

Extra features in 12.10 over 12.04 are here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetz.../UbuntuDesktop

Also 12.10 don't have Unit2D
    im really new here at ubuntu. before i install i want to know which one is good?. i mean what is the big difference. thanks man.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbnmelvin View Post
    im really new here at ubuntu. before i install i want to know which one is good?. i mean what is the big difference. thanks man.
    If you can share your hardware and system configuration then it'll be easy to help you. I personally suggest Ubuntu 12.04 because it is LTS and will be supported by Canonical till 2017

Also while googling I found this link. Thought it might be interesting to you.
    Last edited by c2tarun; March 6th, 2013 at 09:44 AM.

Beans

If you can share your hardware and system configuration then it'll be easy to help you. I personally suggest Ubuntu 12.04 because it is LTS and will be supported by Canonical till 2017
    This is my laptop spec

Sony Vaio
    AMD E2-1800 (1.70GHz) dual core processor
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Features: 11.6" LED backlit display, 4GB RAM, 750GB (5400rpm) HDD, AMD Radeon™ graphics, HDMI® out, USB 3.0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbnmelvin View Post
    This is my laptop spec

Sony Vaio
    AMD E2-1800 (1.70GHz) dual core processor
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Features: 11.6" LED backlit display, 4GB RAM, 750GB (5400rpm) HDD, AMD Radeon™ graphics, HDMI® out, USB 3.0
    Go with 12.04. Although 12.10 will also perform great on your machine but I read somewhere that 12.10 has some issues with ATI graphic card drivers.

and Welcome to Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

12.10 64bit should be your choice.

hard to say which one is better. depends what you are trying to acomplish. and what you would like to have.

+ newer kernel (means better support for new hardware, also newer drivers included). your CPU and GPU chip is quite new on the market i believe.
    + newer programmes
    + new features
    + improved interface

- stability maybe (for some it is working very well) not as good as in 12.04
    - no unity 2D, fallback mode not as good.

12.04 LTS
    + five year support (until 2017) with security updates and big fixes
    + better stability of the OS
    + various good fallback modes (gnome fallback, unity 2D)

- older kernel (=older drivers)
    - older versions of programmes
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Your CPU is 64-bit, so you can run the 64-bit version. It's somewhat faster than the 32-bit at certain things.
    Does this really going to make that much difference? He has only 4GB RAM. Also there are still apps out there which require 32 bit libraries. For beginners I think 32 bit is best.
    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    12.10 64bit should be your choice.

hard to say which one is better. depends what you are trying to acomplish. and what you would like to have.

+ newer kernel (means better support for new hardware, also newer drivers included). your CPU and GPU chip is quite new on the market i believe.
    + newer programmes
    + new features
    + improved interface

- stability maybe (for some it is working very well) not as good as in 12.04
    - no unity 2D, fallback mode not as good.

12.04 LTS
    + five year support (until 2017) with security updates and big fixes
    + better stability of the OS
    + various good fallback modes (gnome fallback, unity 2D)

- older kernel (=older drivers)
    - older versions of programmes
    Yeah you have some valid points, 12.10 must have drivers for latest hardware, this can be a reason to choose 12.10 over 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Does this really going to make that much difference? He has only 4GB RAM. Also there are still apps out there which require 32 bit libraries. For beginners I think 32 bit is best.
    For some jobs like video encoding, compression or encryption, yes it makes a big difference. There are no apps that will only install on a 32-bit system that I'm aware of, and I've been running 64-bit for years. There used to be a few (eg: Flash), but those days are long-gone. It really is trouble-free these days, I recommend anyone who can runs 64-bit. The amount of RAM you have is immaterial. I have 4GB of RAM, and have been running 64-bit ever since my system only had 2GB.

Embrace the 64-bit, it's lovely

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    For some jobs like video encoding, compression or encryption, yes it makes a big difference. There are no apps that will only install on a 32-bit system that I'm aware of, and I've been running 64-bit for years. There used to be a few (eg: Flash), but those days are long-gone. It really is trouble-free these days, I recommend anyone who can runs 64-bit. The amount of RAM you have is immaterial. I have 4GB of RAM, and have been running 64-bit ever since my system only had 2GB.

Embrace the 64-bit, it's lovely
    there is little misunderstanding here.

by having 4GB RAM I meant that 32 bit can use upto 4GB RAM to use RAM more than 4GB 64 bit is necessary.
    regarding apps support 32bit only I was about to say android sdk but I checked and now they are also in 64 bit , but to install latest ATI driver we must have 32 bit libraries

Anyway 64 bit is obviously better than 32 bit in many aspects so no point of discussion here. He can use 32 or 64 as per his choice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast