Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Software programming

Beans

Re: Software programming

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    When you're choosing a language, your options are really dictated by what you know and what platform you target, not how big the project will be.
    Oh well. Some languages do make it easier to write and maintain a large codebase (then again I assume you don't need anyone to point out to you).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nyrtZi View Post
    Oh well. Some languages do make it easier to write and maintain a large codebase (then again I assume you don't need anyone to point out to you).
    How so? Not a dig, just interested to hear your experience.

In my personal experience (note: that means I'm not saying I'm right) the maintainability has always been driven by the project design and architecture (including things like version control and branching strategies), not by the actual language itself.
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The availability of tools and frameworks for a language can make a difference for enterprise-scale applications. I'm thinking of things like dependency-injection frameworks, unit testing frameworks, continuous integration tools, object-relational mapping, etc.
    Please create new threads for new questions.
    Please wrap code in code tags using the '#' button or enter it in your post like this: [code]...[/code].

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by r-senior View Post
    The availability of tools and frameworks for a language can make a difference for enterprise-scale applications. I'm thinking of things like dependency-injection frameworks, unit testing frameworks, continuous integration tools, object-relational mapping, etc.
    +1
    IMHO, that's absolutely correct and to the point.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory response
    PopularPages - A Ubuntu Documentation Search Tool
    Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hill View Post

I suppose it depends on your definition of large. But this is my personal experience.

The Linux kernel is entirely C, most compilers, software in the majority of complex embedded systems, etc.

That does not necessarily mean that just because a program is big it must be written in C or C++ however, Facebook for example I am told is entirely php.
    Just a note: actually now that they got big, I heard the facebook devs translated alot of it into C++ using HipHop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12