Thread: Ralink WiFi and Kernel Panic

Beans

Ralink WiFi and Kernel Panic

I have a strange issue. I have a new Compaq CQ58, and it uses a Ralink 3290 wifi card. I have tried running 12.04 and 12.10 and whilst they run fine, as soon as I compile the drivers into the kernel, I get random instances of kernel panic.

I have tried evry kernel from 3.5 to 3.8 and still have this problem. I can have a stable system with no wifi, or I can have wifi for two minutes before I get panic.

Please help me, or tell me what outputs to post here and I will.

Ta.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ralink WiFi and Kernel Panic

Last edited by Hadaka; March 6th, 2013 at 06:58 AM.
    Craving anchovy, herring and squid pizza.....with clam sauce

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hadaka View Post
    That's exactly what I did. And although it fixes the wireless issue, it results in kernel panic and I have to hard restart.

Beans

Maybe it's something else causing the panic? It's just strange that I can use the system just fine untill I compile the driver into the kernel.

For an interim solution, I picked up a $10 Tenda 150N usb wifi adapter, and it runs perfect out the box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

i GET THE SAME PROBLEM KERNEL PANIC AFTER INSTALLING THE RT3290 MODULE PATCH

Beans

The same problem here, i've tried with 12.10 and 13.04 with no results, in 13.04 i've disabled de macros that leads to compilation errors, and in 12.10 blacklisted the drivers and all the instructions, it seems that HP is really no linux friendly.