Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Propellerhead

Beans

Re: I need help really really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by hawthornso23 View Post

My own experience with WINE has been very mixed. Sometimes it works amazingly well - better
    that you would have any right to expect. Sometimes it won't work at all. And sometimes
    it works but there are issues with the way that the program runs. WINE is a temperamental
    beast. Some people who use it a lot get very good a tweaking settings to get things to run. I'm
    not one of them so maybe I shoudn't be answering this. But then again these WINEmasters
    tend to be rather more enthusiastic about using WINE than I think is merited so perhaps it is a
    good idea that a mere mortal like myself should throw in a word of caution first.

So the first thing I want to ask you is whether you've checked out all the native
    linux recording studios out there to see if any of them will do the job. Those are
    pretty much guaranteed to work straight off with no mucking about and no
    performance issues.
    DIABLO 2 runs miraculous im probably going to download a couple more things and then just take a break and enjoy it for a little bit. now mozilla crashes, i was having problems with the torrent downloader yesterday. Steam runs amazing, so this has nothing o do with wine but so far the programs on linux are very impressive. I know they are carbon copies of the ones from windows. I am pretty happy with linux thus far. its just i need to have this program or i will make a sad face. Okay haha just like i said earlier i spent a lot of time with my other program I cannot find another one lol.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hawthornso23 View Post
    I gather this is a music recording studio. It looks like a pretty good one too.
    That means it is most likely going to need to need realtime access to the
    hardware so you don't get audio glitching and stuff. I am not very optimistic
    that a program of this type will run well under wine. You may be able to get
    it to run, but I think it would be unrealistic to expect it to work as well as if
    it was running on windows. If this is something you rely on for your job ...

People switching to linux often try to run exactly the same programs
    that they ran under windows. And so just about the first thing they do is
    try to run a bunch of windows stuff using WINE. And then they get upset
    and blame linux if they can't get it to work or if their programs don't run as
    well uas they did on windows, and they end up switching back to windows
    convinced that linux doesn't work.

You need to recognise that it is actually a pretty amazing trick to get windows executables
    to run in a linux environment at all. Just try running a linux executable in a windows
    environment and see how far you get. But the trouble is that people don't recognise
    what a miracle this is. Instead of being awed and amazed that the thing runs at all they
    complain bitterly if it doesn't run quite as well as they are used to.

This is why I hate WINE - because I reckon it encourages unrealistic expectations.
    Running a windows program under WINE should be absolutely the last thing you try.
    It should be regarded as an act of total desperation if you simply cannot find a native
    linux program that will do the job. Instead for many people who have newly switched to
    linux, it seems to be just about the first thing they have a go at.

My own experience with WINE has been very mixed. Sometimes it works amazingly well - better
    that you would have any right to expect. Sometimes it won't work at all. And sometimes
    it works but there are issues with the way that the program runs. WINE is a temperamental
    beast. Some people who use it a lot get very good a tweaking settings to get things to run. I'm
    not one of them so maybe I shoudn't be answering this. But then again these WINEmasters
    tend to be rather more enthusiastic about using WINE than I think is merited so perhaps it is a
    good idea that a mere mortal like myself should throw in a word of caution first.

So the first thing I want to ask you is whether you've checked out all the native
    linux recording studios out there to see if any of them will do the job. Those are
    pretty much guaranteed to work straight off with no mucking about and no
    performance issues.

Only once you are sure that no native linux application exists that will do the job
    you need to do would I (reluctantly) look at trying to run your windows application
    under WINE. Be pleased if you can get it to run. Be astounded and amazed if it runs
    well. If that happens make sure you are properly grateful. Sacrifice small animals
    to the god or gods of your choice. You've just experienced a small miracle.
    OKay i will get right away with sacrificing small animals to the gods and god of my choice, that sounds cool for once. Life is to boring with out sacrificing.

Beans

Re: Installing Propellerhead

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Please use an informative title and post in the Wine forum.
    Have fixed both.
    tY for helping me. No sOmeone loaded ubuntu on to the computer and handed it to me as temp untill my other comp gets better.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My advice? Stick to Windows (or Mac) if you want to use pro-audio software like Propellerhead, Reason, Pro-Tools, Cubase, Ableton. That is what they're designed for. I am not flaming here but nothing in the Linux world comes close to these and Ubuntu is not a drop-in Windows replacement for them, with or without Wine. You are going to get varying levels of success.

I keep a Windows install to use these things, mainly Sibelius. You might try running Windows as a virtual machine inside Ubuntu but I don't know if I'd bother, personally. Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah - sorry about the huge essay. Guess I was bored.

Linux is not a musical desert and there is a some good stuff out there for musicians. I use Audacity regularly. A great program - very easy to use - does what it does very well , although it probably won't do everything you want. Rosegarden is also really worth checking out. I've heard very good things about it but it is a lot more complicated than I need for the a cappella stuff I am involved in. There are quite a few good music sequencing programs which run natively in linux. Lots of programs to manipulate MIDI and MP3 and the like. From a musician's point of view the biggest problem with using linux is the lack of a decent score editing program. I've been using lilypond but it is insanely complicated trying to get it to typeset even simple musical arrangements. If you put in the effort the print quality is superb but it takes far too long to typeset a song and it doesn't give you the kind of "compose as you type" flexibility that I would like to have for my arranging.
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Installing Propellerhead

Quote Originally Posted by fearband View Post
    Can you tell me how to post my specs on here?
    Yes, run

Code:
    sudo lshw > lshw.txt
    and post lshw.txt . Might take a moment to run.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12