Thread: Total Newbie needs installation help

Threaded View

Beans

Question Total Newbie needs installation help

After about six months of thinking about it, I've finally decided to take the Linux plunge with Ubuntu. But before I start, I'd like to put my system up for comment and help suggestions. I've got the Ubuntu Manual and have read the installation section, but it doesn't address things in detail.

I currently have Windows XP, SP3 32 bit installed. One reason I'm delving into Linux is that MS is going to quit supporting XP next year, and I want an alternative that is not MS. So in a year, I'll be exclusively Linux but in the meantime I'll be dual booting.

Motherboard is Asus P5G41-M; Processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz Wolfdale 45nm Technology, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a Core 2 Quad or Quad Extreme (used). I do not know if these are 64 bit capable, but since the motherboard is Windows 7 Ready, I would hope it and the processor would be. I have not yet googled for the actual specs. On the processor, hyperthreading (whatever that is) is not supported.

Memory is 4g of Dual Channel DDR2@400mhz. If I were to install the 64 bit Ubuntu, I would also add memory to max out the system at 8g.

I currently have two HDs. One is a 250G that is partitioned into a 115G with the Windows Operating System. The other 110G is raw and has not been formatted. The other HD is a 500G empty NTFS formatted that could easily be partitioned and each reformatted into any file system.

I know that Linux has its own file discrete file systems but also that Ubuntu works with NTFS.

So here are my questions. Since I have already got a partition for Ubuntu that present but not formatted, how would I go about installing Ubuntu there? Dual boot seems to be built into Ubuntu, so would there be a problem with that if the partition involved was formatted for Linux? On the second HD, should I just leave it NTFS, or should I partition it also into NTFS for Windows use and have another partition for the Linux file system?

Should I get the 64 bit or the 32 bit Linux?

Advice is greatly appreciated because I would like to have the most efficient Linux system possible, and I would like to do this correctly from the getgo. After this gets answered, if it does, I'll have some more Hardware questions.
    Last edited by vineyridge; March 5th, 2013 at 11:44 PM.