Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Total Newbie needs installation help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Total Newbie needs installation help

The installation CD/DVD gives you several options, and one of them is "Try (X)Ubuntu without installing ...", that is what we called "Live"

Regards.

Beans

This is kind of off point, but apparently this ATX motherboard only has a PCI Express 1.1 capability. Would that change any graphics card recommendations. And I haven't checked my power supply yet to see what it can handle. Given that I don't game, I'd rather not have to replace the Power Supply. The onboard Intel graphics suck, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

As long as it is a PCI Express x16 it doesn't matter. All cards are backwards compatible. Note that x16 is important though, as it is an specific "size".

Good point about the power supply. In case you don't have enough power for a, let's say, 550, you may look for a lower end card like an Nvidia 610, or 620.

A typical 610 requires a 300W power supply which would work on most desktops.

Regards.

BTW, PSUs are not that expensive, and also are not complicated to replace. A few moths ago, my 310W original Dell PSU died. I went to Microcenter, bought a 450W for about $40, and problem solved (it was either an Antec or a Cool Master).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Printers:
    Kodak ESP All in One 2150 inkjet. This is also my only scanner, copier, and also has a fax.
    Samsung CLP 315 AXX.
    Both are USB. I swap the Samsung between the desktop and the laptop
    samsung probably needs proprietary drivers. there is a PPA from a nice guy that modified and patched the drivers tso they work well in Ubuntu and debian. easy to install. for the rest i don't know. you need to test it first (maybe with live session). know this that in linux many drivers are inclouded in kernel (core of the OS). when computer botos hardware is read and appropriate drivers are loaded (hopefully). sometimes system missreads the hw and then you need to order it what drivers to use. no biggy, just a few chnages to config files and you will be done if that happens.

sometimes however there are no linux drivers available (thanks to manufacturers).

My original thought was to use the unformatted 110G partition on the Windows OS drive for Ubuntu and also partition the 500G into an NTFS side and a Ubuntu side, but if I can boot from the second drive, I might just use the whole drive for Ubuntu and format the other half of the Windows Drive to NTFS.
    i do not understand why no one gave advice on this idea.

this is easy to do. all you need is raw space (you already have that) and Ubuntu installer will take care of the rest. oyu only need to tell it to install to largest free space. select the prefered file format or leave it at default. it will automaticly create /swap and / (root) partitions. boot loader will also be propperly put and you should see both systems avaiable on boot. if you intend to continue using XP then leave the second drive NTFS formated. ubuntu does well with 10-15GB of disk space. 30 GB is almost overkill for it. but if you intend to keep data on linux and eventually move fully to linux then it is better to format the second disk to linux format. but this is not necessary. linux can read NTFS format just fine, but windows doesn't read so well the ext format and other formats.

i plan to do somehting similar only i will keep windows for some older games and those i haven't had the time to play yet. but will probably give 20GB to linux which should be more than enough. unless i change my mind again and go with win7.

anyway do a lot of testing try a few different version of Ubutnu before you go for it. i am enjoying Kubuntu. But Xubuntu is also great.

edit: you asked why run something else. you also asked for most efficient. well consider this - the version mentioned run various desktop environemtns. there are also some widnows managers available. you can use 300MB ram for system+with 3D effects some GPU power or you can run something that looks like win98 with modern 2013 programmes and use only 80MB ram and no GPU power (no special desktop effects). the choice is yours and often comes prepackaged in various distributions. so while lubuntu might not look as shiny as Ubutnu it uses a lot less system resources by default.
    however with your system it shouldn't be an issue. the Kubuntu i run is running on 1.3GB ram and old dual core celeron.
    Last edited by mastablasta; March 6th, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

So here is the start of this plan. Tonight in the wee hours, since I'm on satellite and need to preserve my usage, I'll download Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu and burn them to DVD. Then I'll start playing with them as Live CD. I'll give each one a week's trial and decide on my flavor.

On the video front, I've just ordered the Nvidia 620. Had to make sure that the card I ordered supported VGA connection. This is one upgrade that really makes sense to me.

I grew up with the mantra: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." So as long as the old stuff still works (monitor, laptop, trackballs, external), I'll keep them in service. I still have a functional but tiny HD for the laptop that runs Win98SE. I loved that OS. I waited many years before switching to XP.
    Last edited by vineyridge; March 6th, 2013 at 07:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You could also install each version on a USB stick.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Well, this is interesting. Kodak does not support Linux, or so their help chat person says. There are no manufacturer's drivers available for the ESP All In One 2150. Unless there is a Linus/Ubuntu driver for this machine, I'm going to lose the printer, the scanner, the fax and the copier.

Is there a particular place to go to find out what hardware does/will work? I need to know what printers and scanner will work if I have to buy new hardware. And if I do, you can be sure it won't be Kodak.

I already have plenty of DVD disks, and I don't have a legion of USB sticks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For printers you can use this site...
    http://www.openprinting.org/printers

For scanners you can use this site...
    http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

I've had great results with HP devices, they have a team who works on Linux support for their hardware.
    You can see how well supported a certain device is by looking on the HP Linux Imaging and Printing site (hplip is also the name of the Linux driver).
    http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

I recently needed a new AOI device, a quick check of the HP website led me to buy an HP DeskJet 2510 for all of £25 (on special offer at PC World).
    Plugged it in and turned it on and everything worked out of the box without any effort on my part at all, printing and scanning.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Just wanted to let y'all know that I am now on a Xubuntu Live Disk. I also have three more flavors to try. This looks like its going to be fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Don't forget that there are other desktop environments besides Unity, KDE, LXDE, and XCFE. You may like Openbox, or razor-qt, or Cinnamon, or MATE, or GNOME, or...

Remember that the true blessing of free software isn't the free price. It's the FREEDOM.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast