Thread: OS freezing

Hybrid View

Beans

OS freezing

Just got a brand new machine: Toshiba Satellite C855D S5320/AMD dual core e2-1800, upgraded with 16gig kingston ram. Win 8 preinstalled and I hated it. Changed UEFI to legacy and disabled secure boot. Still would not let me partition and install ubuntu so I erased win 8 and started fresh with Ubuntu Secure Remix. It took several days of tinkering but finally installed correctly (machine would freeze at same point of install or not show at boot, tried several live disks until success). I ran boot repair.

Current problem-laptop freezes as various stages (sometimes right after boot, sometimes 45 min. after running smoothly).

Boot repair tag: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5586393/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Fahl Guy

Beans

Re: OS freezing

I would run memtest86+ for at least one night, and see what it says.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fahl Guy View Post
    Just got a brand new machine: Toshiba Satellite C855D S5320/AMD dual core e2-1800, upgraded with 16gig kingston ram. Win 8 preinstalled and I hated it. Changed UEFI to legacy and disabled secure boot. Still would not let me partition and install ubuntu so I erased win 8 and started fresh with Ubuntu Secure Remix. It took several days of tinkering but finally installed correctly (machine would freeze at same point of install or not show at boot, tried several live disks until success). I ran boot repair.

Current problem-laptop freezes as various stages (sometimes right after boot, sometimes 45 min. after running smoothly).

Boot repair tag: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5586393/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Fahl Guy
    I have the same laptop with the same symptoms, running memtest now, however shows no errors so far. I am using 12.10, 12.04 would not install at all. Wireless does work with no tweeks though, not much help when all it does is lock up though.

Beans

OK, so not a RAM problem. Replaced my 2 new sticks with factory original and same problem. Ran memtest86+ for several hours. As soon as I started, test 1 reports 31 errors. Second run of memtest shows 18 errors on test 1. Not sure how long the computer was really running the test. Second run froze after about 30min. No other errors reported on either run (think I got to test 7 on first run).

Here's a little more info

Dumped Win 8
    Install Uberstudent from live CD. Starts installation fine, freezes at exact same spot. After installation almost finished loader says something about "USB modules to usb"
    Installed Edubuntu: installation finishes, shows up after boot, OS starts from hard disk, computer freezes
    Tried Linux Secure Remix 64-same as above. I can get secure remix running for about 30 minutes. Any more and she dies. Computer really doesn't like my wireless. It recognizes my network and lets me enter my key and connects. Then every 30 seconds it asks for my security key and she dies.

I called Toshiba support because my "y" and "h" keys weren't working. Mysteriously, keys started working after registering the product and on the phone with the guy.

Anyway, am I up stink creek? What can I replace (keeping in mind this is a $300 machine)? Hard drive? Motherboard? My futile self-injurious hostility to Windows OS?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated and those that provide it are greatly respected.

Aaron

Beans

OK, so not a RAM problem. Replaced my 2 new sticks with factory original and same problem. Ran memtest86+ for several hours. As soon as I started, test 1 reports 31 errors. Second run of memtest shows 18 errors on test 1. Not sure how long the computer was really running the test. Second run froze after about 30min. No other errors reported on either run (think I got to test 7 on first run).
    I really do not understand what you're saying: memtest86 tests memory and reports errors, but you say "no a RAM problem"?

Please explain.

Beans

Sorry, I meant to indicate I ran the tests, they did come back with errors. I then reinstalled the original factory ram instead of my upgraded ram. The problem was not fixed.

Beans

Sorry, I meant to indicate I ran the tests, they did come back with errors. I then reinstalled the original factory ram instead of my upgraded ram. The problem was not fixed.
    So, it is a RAM problem?

If memtest86 reports problems and/or locks up, it is a pure hardware problem (not OS related). You have to solve that first.
    Last edited by sanderj; March 12th, 2013 at 06:52 PM.