Thread: Silly question depending on who you are

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Silly question depending on who you are

So I am about to buy my first system76 laptop here in the next month or two and this may seem silly but I was curious if the laptop are American made or Chinese made like a majority of laptops these days. I seen on there website they claim to be built in Colorado and California but I am sure that implies more to the desktops. Won't change my mind to buy one but it is just something I was wondering.

Beans

Re: Silly question depending on who you are

"made" is an ill-defined word in this context.

A laptop consists of many different components and unlike car manufacturers, no company makes enough components to build an entire computer. Different parts come from different places and quite likely, different countries. Probably every computer in the world has one component or another that is made in China.

I don't know where the individual parts of the System76 laptops come from. I know that they get the base system from Clevo, however, they modify the machines. The last stage, where you get your personal laptop with your selection of components, that is done in the USA, by people here (again, I don't know where the parts come form or where the base is build).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks for that, I was very aware that the parts come from all over, I was just curious if any work went into them here in the USA. Answered my question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think my wife's Ratel originated in Tiawan. It didn't look like the box had been opened although I can't imagine that there wasn't System 76 customizing done here in the US. There is the Ubuntu OS plus all of the choices that System 76 offers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The chassis may be made in Taiwan, but we use parts from a wide array of manufacturers, and we don't have any control over where they produce their products. All System76 products are assembled in the US.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    The chassis may be made in Taiwan, but we use parts from a wide array of manufacturers, and we don't have any control over where they produce their products. All System76 products are assembled in the US.
    Nevertheless, still a high quality great machine.